fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need your help!

All the info for my course arrived today. The majority of it is somewhat confusing, but I will work that out.

I just need your help on my equipment list.

Please give me any recommendations for any of the items you know about (keeping in mind I'm not rich - but am looking on ebay for most of it). Here goes

BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHIC PAPER
-> 1 Box 100 sheets 20 x 25 cm Variable contrast, Pearl Surface (ILFORD MULTIGRADE IV REDOMMENDED) (I assume here I will just go with the recommended one, as they will probably teach using this)

BLACK AND WHITE FILM
-> 5 Rolls 35mm film (24 or 36 EXP) 400 ISO
-> 5 Rolls 35mm film (24 or 36 EXP) 100 ISO
-> 5 Rolls 120 film 400 ISO

I assume by black and white they mean traditional B&W - not C-41 - does anyone know of a film they think will be particularly good?

SUNDRY EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS
-> 1 professional hand-held exposure meter (flash capability)
-> 1 Elinchrom standard Sync. Lead (Part No 01.11074)
-> Presentation board
-> Presentation folders (available from bookshop - no need to worry about this one)
-> Negative files for 35 mm, 120 and 10 x 12 cm films
-> 1 blower brush
-> 1 anti-static cloth
-> 1 focusing magnifier (8x)
-> 1 trimming knife
-> 1 pair scissors
-> 1 cable release (do they just mean the thing that plugs into the camera so you can use it a couple of meters away (put in dumb terms so there is no confusion about what i meant))
-> 1 20 x 24 cm printing easel (or larger)
-> 1 photographic thermometer
-> 1 Kodak 18% grey card (R-27)
-> 1 set retouching dyes
-> Retouching brush (000)
-> 1 dust coat or apron (i can probably handle this one on my own. lol)
-> 1 steel ruler (300mm) (should be OK with this one too)
-> CF Storage card (min 512mb) (I found a 1GB Kingston Elite Pro on ebay for a reasonable price - is that a good card?)
-> USB memory stick (min 256 MB) (should be able to work that one on my own too)
-> Blank CD's (wow - something i already have!)

Also two books

John Slater - "photoshop projects in easy steps"

and

Aaler, M & Andrews, P - "Photoshop CD Essential Skills"

(But I should be ok with those two)

Phew. Please give me any insight to good brands, etc of any of those

Hello,

Yes I would imagine they do mean conventional B&W film - especially as i can't think of any 100asa C41 B&W. Kodak (Plus-X 125asa, Tri-X 400asa), Ilford (FP4 125asa, HP5 400asa, Delta 100, Delta 400) and Fuji (Acros 100, Neopan 400) all make excellent products.

The Sekonic L-308s is an excellent reasonably priced light/flash meter.

As far as the retouching brush goes, make sure you get a sable brush. They cost a bit more than a synthetic, but you'll thank me later.:mrgreen:

Fuddy

I'd recommend matching the Ilford film with the Ilford paper.

FP4 is 125 ISO, which is near enough 100 to be what you need. Ilford films are all push/pullable, so the rating is very flexible and it's entirely possible to rate FP4 anywhere from about 80 through to 400 without too many problems.

HP5 is 400 ISO, which is good for your 400 film.

They won't want you using C-41 B&W I would think.

A cable release is going to be a shorty pointy bit in a springy thing which screws into the shutter button and pokes a pokey bit to depress the shutter with no vibration. Should be very cheap and easily available.

I personally like the Konica Minolta Flash Meter V. Meters which measure flash and spot and reflected light can be on the pricey side, so it won't hurt to ask the tutor for a minimum spec recommendation as nobody here knows what the exact course requirements will be.

In my opinion, don't buy the paper from eBay as it isn't really possible to prove who light damaged it (if it's damaged). A photographic shop will allow you to take it back if the packaging has been compromised. Remember with paper there's no way of seeing whether it's been light damaged until you develop some prints.

Good luck!

Rob

thanks Rob. I don't really have a LOT of $'s... About $200 for the light meter is probably my max ($200 AU that is) the one fuddyduddy mentioned is just under that (and thats about half the retail price by the looks of it.)

I have found the ilford paper at a reputabe photographic store for $49.50 so I will go there for it.

As for the film - thanks for that. It sounds good. I will probably buy that from the same place as the paper as ebay only has it in lots of 10.

Nope, I meant one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAMERA-CABLE...ryZ27432QQssPageNameZWD4VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It depends what camera you've got, but I was working on the assumption that it should be fully-manual for your course.

The light meter probably doesn't matter.

These questions should really be addressed to your tutor / course organiser as only they can tell you what's right or not for your specific course. Chances are that our recommendations are correct, but it's worth checking before you shell out your hard-earned aussie dollars!

Rob

Rob - I haven't started the course yet. This is just the info they sent me - that I will need before I start..

I have a canon 3000N and a 300D. Both can be set to fully manual...

Rob said:
A cable release is going to be a shorty pointy bit in a springy thing which screws into the shutter button and pokes a pokey bit to depress the shutter with no vibration. Should be very cheap and easily available

Rob

Rob, you're showing your age old boy!:lmao: Most modern SLRs and AFAIK all dSLRs use "electronic" cable releases, and not those pointy bit in a springy thing like in the good old days, which used to fit nearly all cameras! The one which fading points to on ebuy is a modern equivalent, which will only fit the specified models (which fading has). The pointy bit in the springy thing will NOT work on fading's camera. Another chance for the camera manufacturers to gouge some more cash out of us!:grumpy:

Fuddy

yep fuddy. Luckily for me - I can use this cable on both my 3000N and my 300D... So i am very happy about that.

I think when I take this list to the place that I am going to "photo continental" they will know what these things are supposed to be.

They are the biggest photographic store in Brisbane (and the southern hemisphere apparently) - and probably deal with a large amount of this TAFE's business.

I just wanted to get the heads up on things (such as brands, whats good, etc) so they can't take me for as much of a ride as they will try to. :D

Just use the self-timer instead. I am assuming that this modern rubbish has a self-timer - dangerous assumption probably. :)

Rob

p.s. My most modern camera is my '84 Yashicamat. My oldest had it's seventieth birthday a short while ago. The oldest is still my best camera. All my cameras (except the 70yo folder) work with a pointy shutter release.

p.p.s. I am not over forty, before you all start that nonsense again.

I was only joking really... Actually I don't tend to use cable release as I've not really found any need for it. I haven't really used mirror lock up either. My camera is very heavy and so's my tripod. Anyway that's not really the point!

That looks like a good light meter - it's certainly a well-respected brand, so good luck with your auctions and don't forget to check the feedback score and location of the item.

Rob

ok fair enough then :)

They have good feedback (lots of it and 100%) and it is coming from Hong Kong (which I don't mind as the postage isn't TOO bad) - about $20.

Cost me about $215 AU all up.

Most reactions

Back