equipment for wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

photopro234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have ten years experience in wedding photography but back then my wife and I were generalists. We tried to " sqeeze in" family portraits, high school senior portraits, and children. At the end of those ten years we were both " burned out." Now we are specializing in wedding photography. We would like to know the equipment needed to successfully photograph the wedding day.

A good low light focussing camera, with a good high ISO sensor, some good portrait lenses, a standard fast zoom, a macro lens, flashguns, a backup camera, reflectors, a computer, editing software and transport would be a good start. People have done it with less but they didn't need to ask what they needed- and I am not being smart here, I had considered this option myself and at a wedding watched a few pros. the gear and knowledge they appeared to have was eye opening

I would imagine the same equipment that you have used to photograph weddings for the last ten years.

What Pix said... other than the fact that digital bodies have improved exponentially in their low-light and quick-focusing capabilities, the gear is no different now than ten, twenty or thirty years ago.

I would imagine the same equipment that you have used to photograph weddings for the last ten years.

Ditto. How is it that you have 10 years of experience photographing weddings yet don't know what equipment you would need to photograph the wedding day?

Where in the heck is my popcorn!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Could not have said it better myself. Bravo good sir. Bravo.

Also OP... Seriously?

The OP said ten years' experience 'back then', maybe this is about getting back into doing wedding photography.

The reason you are getting funny comments is that after 10 years of professional photography you should kinda know what you need.

Light Guru During those ten years I photographed maybe seven weddings with Canon EOS ELANTRA and Canon lenses( not fast) and not very much instruction. I now have Canon digital equipment and need to know just how and when to use what camera at what ISO,etc.

A good low light focussing camera, with a good high ISO sensor, some good portrait lenses, a standard fast zoom, a macro lens, flashguns, a backup camera, reflectors, a computer, editing software and transport would be a good start. People have done it with less but they didn't need to ask what they needed- and I am not being smart here, I had considered this option myself and at a wedding watched a few pros. the gear and knowledge they appeared to have was eye opening

Jaomul pretty much nailed it. Based on what other pros are using at weddings, I'd mimic what they are doing...newer model full-frame camera(s) for out of this world accurate focusing and ISO speeds (eg Canon 5D mark iii), fast lenses (f2.8 and faster), off camera flash(es), and a newer computer with at least 16gb of RAM and a 4-CPU processor, and good post processing software such as Photoshop.

The exposure triangle hasn't changed since photography was invented. But with usable ISO speeds of 6400 and faster, it got a WHOLE LOT easier! My biggest problem these days is my inexperience with post processing software (I'm just an amateur). I'm still in 'discovery' mode on anything more difficult than 'basic editing'.

Ditto. How is it that you have 10 years of experience photographing weddings yet don't know what equipment you would need to photograph the wedding day?

Troll?

The reason you are getting funny comments is that after 10 years of professional photography you should kinda know what you need.

He should be telling us what we need. The whole premise here sounds fishy.

Light Guru During those ten years I photographed maybe seven weddings with Canon EOS ELANTRA and Canon lenses( not fast) and not very much instruction. I now have Canon digital equipment and need to know just how and when to use what camera at what ISO,etc.

You'll need whatever ISO it takes to get the exposure you want with the combination of shutter speed and aperature you were planning on using. You'll want to use your longer lenses for farther away shots and your closer lenses for closer shots. If you have a flash, you will want to use that when it is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back