Equipment needed to begin a photography hobby

Jaming

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife has showed a big interest in beginning a hobby in photography. Since Christmas is coming I figured I would buy her the equipment she would need to start her off. But I don't know anything about picture taking so I am hoping that I could get some advise from some experts. So my question is what do i buy my wife for Christmas??

This is what we already have, but we have had it for a while so I would buy new if that is what is recommended:

Camera is a Canon Powershot S5 IS, 8.0 mega pixals.
Computer with windows XP but no photography software at all.
Printer is a HP Deskjet 3510 all in one series.
Registration in thephotoforum.com website.

I think her interest would be in taking photos of scenery and also family type portraits. She would like to take the pictures and frame them to hang in our house.

Thanks for the help.

Nikon D3100 with the kit lens that comes with it.
an extra battery
2 8 GB SD memory cards

and some sort of image editing software, like Photoshop Elements to start.

Don't spend any more than you have to until she decides she likes it.

My advice is to fix yourself a budget for the gift and then take your wife out shopping.

Buying gifts for hobbies is often very difficult as much of the "right choice" isn't about fact, but opinion and the most important opinion is generally the person who's going to be using the equipment and doing the hobby. I know this somewhat takes away the surprise element, but if you're spending some serious money and she's not leaving you very clear hints then its the best course of action that doesn't have you both in the "returns and exchanges" line post-christmas.

Of course nothing says you can't make a nice day of the event in going out to choose the item and, of course, if you go out before Christmas day then the camera and all the fancy things you get with it will still be wrapped up and put under the tree to wait for the proper day.

There are free, open source image editing applications like GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program and Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer Photoscape

She could start with the camera you already have. It's more about knowing how to use the camera and understanding a camera's pluses and minuses, than the camera itself.
To get a grounding in the basic and somewhat more advanced concepts and terminology of doing digital photography visit - Digital Photography Tutorials

As far as choosing a camera and more helpful links look at this - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Photoshop Elements is good image editing software and the Nikon D3100 and kit lens are also good.

I Agree with Overread. Does your wife have any knowledge of photography? If so then she may have already decided what she wants and just hasn't mentioned it.

The two most popular manufacturers are Nikon and Canon. Regardless of the hype both are equally good, but the decision between the two shouldn't be taken lightly since over time a sizeable investment in lenses and accessories can be accumulated and then it would br quite expensive to switch from one brand to another. If your wife has been eyeing a Canon and you get her a Nikon I'm sure she would be happy but perhaps not as thrilled as if you picked the proper path.

My recommendation, if you can't pick her brain a bit and find any hints, would be to get her something like a good camera bag and put an IOU for a camera and lens inside it. Overread's suggestion of going out the day before and picking one is also an excellent suggestion.

an entry level DSLR, kit lens and good consumer zoom.
Subscription to Kelby On-line training where she can learn at her own pace
Photoshop Elements 11 (I think that's the newest version... I could be off though!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back