Equipment suggestions?

erika5thmonth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use a Canon Rebel EOS T3i. I'm a school photographer and I cover events. I've only been playing around with my co-photographers' camera so I just use their equipment and I'm currently considering in buying my one. I need suggestions with lens and flash. It'll mean a lot if you guys can suggest (and also explain the equipment and it's features.)

Do you have a budget? If you are familiar with the Canon setup, going with Canon may not be a bad idea.

Do you have a budget? If you are familiar with the Canon setup, going with Canon may not be a bad idea.
I'm willing to spend but not THAT much. I'm looking for cheap but efficient equipment. It doesn't need to be too cheap since I plan on looking for second hands anyway.

Why wouldn't the school supply your equipment? Are you working as a free-lance?

I would use the Sigma 18-250mm macro. I've taken thousands of photos with mine and it has never let me down. It's extremely versatile in every situation. Canon makes an enormous range of flashs. I use the 320EX because it has a built in video light. You'll have to read about their features, look at your wallet and decide. If you're on a tight budget I suggest KEH.com for used gear. They usually have a pretty good selection. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I would use the Sigma 18-250mm macro. I've taken thousands of photos with mine and it has never let me down. It's extremely versatile in every situation. Canon makes an enormous range of flashs. I use the 320EX because it has a built in video light. You'll have to read about their features, look at your wallet and decide. If you're on a tight budget I suggest KEH.com for used gear. They usually have a pretty good selection. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank you!

Why wouldn't the school supply your equipment? Are you working as a free-lance?
I don't know either. I'm just part of the school org as a student. I joined to get more experience .

I think buying a T3i of your own would be a great choice. Why? Because you’re already familiar with how to use it, and right now this model is sitting at that “sweet spot” where it’s still reasonably current (within its market segment), yet old enough that many consumers in our gluttonous gadget-obsessed society are keen to dump their perfectly good cameras for something newer, just for the sake of having something newer. The result is a whole lot of barely-broken-in T3i’s available in the classifieds at killer prices. It’s a veritable buyer’s market, and ideal for a student budget.

If you’re doing events you’re definitely going to want a flash, and preferably one with some power. If you can swing it, look into a used Canon 580EX-II, and if that’s too expensive (it probably will be) look at comparably powered units from lower-priced 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party outfits like Yongnuo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back