Europe Backpacking Trip

usuborder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have done a bit of research and found that personal experience is what I need to hear to decide. I would LOVE to hear what has worked for others, or in your professional opinions, what may work for me. Any and all input is appreciated.

I am going backpacking in Europe; all the way from fjords in Norway, to mountains and beaches in Sweden and Greece. I am trying to find a better camera than my Canon Rebel for my tip.

This is a bit about what I am looking for:

Lightness/durability: So I will be backpacking and want something light, more importantly, not crushable. I assume I will have it in my pack sometimes, and worry about crushing it. Also, if I am hiking or what not, I want something that will not hinder my experience. I have a waterproof point and shoot, but would prefer something with better quality and I don't NEED waterproofing.

I am willing to spend <800$. (flexible if something PERFECT comes up)

NOTE: If I sound ignorant or ask something impossible, its because I am ignorant. Feel free to correct me. I rather me an educated photographer than a self proclaimed educated photographer.

Lenses:Interchangeable would be nice, but not a determining factor. I would prefer a "all around" lens over multiple ones. My worry is that interchangeable lenses will make my camera too bulky...UNLESS there are very small/flush interchangeable lenses that give me the quality I am looking for I want Highest quality photos possible with >12MP. If I'm in fjords in Norway, mountain with poor visibility in Sweden, the city of France, or a beach in Greece I want to not regret any of the photos due to lack of quality. Of course I don't expect them to look "professional".

Experience/Skill usage: Minimal. I have a Canon Rebel I have used for years, but I have only slightly tinkered with the ISO, Shutter Speed, and some other settings. By no means am I skilled enough to sought out a camera for those different functions. With that being said, it would be ideal to have a camera that does well in different light conditions.

Nutshell: Durable for Europe Backpacking (active individual) with quality good enough to capture a TRIP OF A LIFETIME :) Mountains, beaches, city skyline.

Thanks for any advice or help!

I would take one of the following
Lumix FZ1000 or ZS100 or LX100
Or Olympus OMD EM10 mk2
Or Fujifilm X70

Most reactions

New Topics

Back