Ever been asked to photograph a funeral?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Balmiesgirl, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Balmiesgirl

Balmiesgirl TPF Noob!

It's one of those awkward things.... :(

2. katerolla

katerolla No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    No, but I had someone at my mums funeral, it's been 2 years and I still haven't seen the photos and I'm not sure if I want to at this stage.

3. Balmiesgirl

Balmiesgirl TPF Noob!

I did it as a favor for a friend.... I don't regret it.... But it was new territory for me so it was uncomfortable. Odd thing was I got a call from some of the family members the same day wanting to come see the pics...my turn over for an event is usually a week. Do I tell them to wait or do we get it over with?

4. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do what you need to do in order to provide the best quality. It's really no different than a wedding, in terms of importance...if not more so. Quality should be top priority IMO.

On that note, I applaud you for doing it. I don't know of I could.

5. tailofspence

tailofspence TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There actually was an article in Popular Photography recently regarding this and I found it really interesting. My mom passed away in January and I actually had my girlfriend's sister taking photos. It helps to have them around just in case I ever want to look back at the event itself and just contemplate things. I think it's key to set ground rules though, which is what we did (no photography of inside the coffin, etc.) Photos turned out "okay" since she's not pro or anything. I did have another friend's dad pass away and I offered to take photos, but there was no response so I didn't pursue it. Again, just be respectful and I think it's no different than shooting any other event.

6. Forkie

Forkie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's little bit weird if you ask me. What do you do, get them to all stand around the coffin? What if it's an open coffin, do you shoot the corpse? It's all types of wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  7. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its a very interesting subject.....i remember my grandmas funeral there were no pics taken it just isnt done in my family
    now my granddad i couldnt bear to see him dead let alone being buried (i did not go)
    do as high a quality as you normally do they can wait a week if thats what it takes they will understand in the long run
    bravo for doing it

8. Balmiesgirl

Balmiesgirl TPF Noob!

I was very careful to be respectful and unobtrusive. It was for a 22 yr old guy with a huge extended family. His mother is the client. She asked for photos of all of the extended family and photos of her standing next to the coffin... Yes it was open. Most all of the family thanked me for being there and let me know that they appreciated my services. I didn't do many during the funeral but did a ton of family groups at the cemetery. I think they realized how much they mean to each other and some members hadn't seen each other for 15 years.

9. Forkie

Forkie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So now she can look at her dead son whenever she fancies it...

It takes all sorts to make a world I guess.

10. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find it disturbing having an open casket anyway, not the way I want to remember the person. Some 40 years my brother was once asked to shoot pictures of the recently expired, the family wanted to send out copies of the photo to the family and friends that couldn't attend. He asked me if he should shoot it in black and white, or living colour, after we had a good laugh, he called his friend and said it couldn't shoot it.

11. raider

raider TPF Noob!

i was hired to video one.

12. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

The whole concept of documenting a funeral seems a bit odd to me. It sort of seems to detract from the significance of a funeral as a memorial for a loved one, when you have all these photos to look back. To me you should just remember the person, not try to remember the moment they were buried.

• Like Like x 2