Ever heard of a USB port wearing out?

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious if anyone has ever had their port on their camera wear out from the constant plugging/unplugging? This would require some time away from your loved one while it goes to the shop, I'd imagine..

Yeah, if you scratch the contacts enough. But you would be way over the shutter limit anyhow.

I haven't used the USB port on my camera for several years. I don't like the idea of my camera sitting on a desk with a tethered cord attached to it. Much too easy to snag the cord and send the camera flying.

Just get a $20 card reader.

Just curious if anyone has ever had their port on their camera wear out from the constant plugging/unplugging? This would require some time away from your loved one while it goes to the shop, I'd imagine..

I would think it would be more likely to be the cable, the constant flexing is going to eventually break the very fine wires off the plugs.

A typical USB port is rated for ~500 insertion and exertion cycles.

Seems a bit low - we have a computer at work that's almost 4 years old and all its used for is initialising hard disks before they're sent to the customer.

Over 4 years would amount to thousands of insertion-extraction cycles and it's still going strong.

Of the two computers I use regularly....I have two, maybe three USB ports that are broken or out of alignment so that I can't even get a plug into them. PITA.

Seems a bit low - we have a computer at work that's almost 4 years old and all its used for is initialising hard disks before they're sent to the customer.

Over 4 years would amount to thousands of insertion-extraction cycles and it's still going strong.

Insertion ratings are always low-balled and there will always be outlier in both directions. I once had a USB port give out about the 3rd or 4th time it was used. Anecdotes are rarely ever valid data, though.

I haven't used the USB port on my camera for several years. I don't like the idea of my camera sitting on a desk with a tethered cord attached to it. Much too easy to snag the cord and send the camera flying.

Just curious-has anyone ever had the contacts of their card slot wear out from the constant insertions/ejections? LOL

I'll look into that Mike. Seems reasonable, especially with my 1 and 3 year old daughters always milling about...

Last edited:
Card readers are so inexpensive it is just not worth the risk to your camera to use it's usb port. One good jerk the wrong way and it could be off to the shop and you with out for a while. The internal readers are great for your home PC as well.

+1

Or... even better if you use CF cards, get a Firewire 800 reader and get that information moving.

I've never seen an USB port 'wear out' in my years doing IT work; I have seen many stop working though due to end user abuse/misuse.

Most reactions

Back