Every photographer's greatest enemy...

Some really nice shots there - really like the wolves!

Thanks!

Rino? Risky that - I know cars have crumple zones, but agaisnt a rino its all crumple ;)
Last time one of them was sleeping and my 2 year old screamed at it to wake up!

where is that zoo? there is Longleat in the UK (and I think at least one other with free roaming animals).
Puebla, Mexico. It's called Africam Safari. (18° 56' 02" N, 98° 07'54"W)

Though I have one dislike about those set-ups - they should make you park your car and then take an electic car round -- can't be healthy for the animals to be exposed to such high levels of fumes on a daily basis

That is an excellent idea. I'll make sure to suggest it to them. We'll se what happens. There are very few electric cars around here, though.... and I don't think a golf cart will do.

I guess it is a personal question- Whats there is whats there. With film you have to pretty much take it or leave it Do you want reality or fictional created scene? Your choice I suspose.
Photo realism or artistic licence?
Judge Sharpe

Powerlines are nothing - you at least has a sporting chance of cloning them out of the shot -- zoo bars and fences on the other hand refuse to even consider moving out of the way (And they are a darn pain to try to shoot through)
IMG_0412m.jpg

I bet that tiger thinking the same thing ... "darn glass". :lol:

True that bars can work better than blurr
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/my%20works/whipsnade1/IMG_0092.jpg

though there are some creatures that have to be behind more than one set - dangerous things they are!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/my works/whipsnade1/IMG_0643.jpg

As for the challenge of having or not having bars I look at it this way - today its £17 and a trip to the zoo with bars to try and get out, next year its £170 (ok probably a lot more ;)) and its leaves and twigs between you and a lion.

hehe he was - round by the glass screen (covered in muddy tiger prints on one side and sticky childrens fingers on the other) he tried clawing me :( clearly it was not a good day for him

What makes me the most upset are not power lines but the moments where you have an incredible opportunity for an amazing shot and with only a small amount of time you try to check all of the camera settings to make sure it is all correct and then it's not until the moment has gone that you realize that you forgot about one and it is way off. An example; I usually have my camera on ISO 100 as default but one time I used 1600 and forgot to change it back. The next time I used the camera (incredible opportunity) I was assuming it was on 100 and the picture had a lot of noise and wasn't as good as it could have been.

I just try to set for lighting, movement, ect. beforehand when I step into a situation then adjust for variances

I sometimes like powerlines in my pictures but, yeah they are mostly a bane. Fences only bother me if Im trying to get in smewhere. My biggest gripe is trash and, this is a general gripe in life. No matter how far out in the woods I am somebodys trash has blown out there.

POWER LINES!!! I know you can work with them, but arrgh do they get in the way. Before I had Photoshop, I really hated them!

If you don't agree with me, post what makes you the most upset while photographing, or even if you do agree with me, but something else really gets your goat.

I agree. Before Photoshop, my mother and I use to talk about taking along an axe with us, when we were taking photos, to cut down the posts with the power lines.

skieur

I hope I'm not the only one who wrestles with white sky. I hate white sky more than any other photographic annoyance lately.

I spend an awful lot of time making sure I take pics of my subject with the light on IT and not on the sky... fixes that problem. If you don't have a choice you can do a composite image, but that takes a bit of skill. I hear the HDR shots help with this too, but I haven't had a chance to try it.

What makes me the most upset are not power lines but the moments where you have an incredible opportunity for an amazing shot and with only a small amount of time you try to check all of the camera settings to make sure it is all correct and then it's not until the moment has gone that you realize that you forgot about one and it is way off. An example; I usually have my camera on ISO 100 as default but one time I used 1600 and forgot to change it back. The next time I used the camera (incredible opportunity) I was assuming it was on 100 and the picture had a lot of noise and wasn't as good as it could have been.

I've gotten nailed by that a couple times, but now I make a habit to ALWAYS put my cam back to my default settings when I'm done with it. Helps a lot.

Yeah powerlines are annoying when there's that perfect shot and then you notice them :/

Then again the other day I noticed some power lines that I nearly took a pic of as they had these looping wires between them that from the angle I was on looked like musical notes on sheet music (if you know what i mean) - I didnt end up taking the shot but I keep thinking of it :)

You have no idea. I'm driving along the road today and I see a deer... a DEER! They are so hard to catch with a camera, so I get mine out, and start clicking away. Only when I got back to my house did I realize I had the camera on spot metering (cause my stupid camera kept blowing out the sky in my previous photos), and so I have photos of a fuzzy deer with a perfectly focused tree behind it.

Who knows how long it will be before I get another deer photo... :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back