What's new

Examples of my Work:

Status
Not open for further replies.
cgipson1, ............. (not trying to be rude... just my opinion!)
:confused: Really?

On the surface, your comments seemed to be a "phuque you buddy" only in retaliation of Charlie's opinion of your work.

If you truely wanted this thread to be deleted (post #11), you would have simply walked away. Now it seems you are only whinging from a bruised ego. Sorry to say, but you can't have it both ways. If you do want your cake and eat it too, try Sara Lee.
 
cgipson1, I just looked at your work and I feel the same way about you. Where is the artistic value in taking landscape photos? You could argue that you're creating art through some Duchamp complex, but I would certainty beg to differ. There isn't artistic value in your work, you're barely succeeding from a technical standpoint. None of your images that I sampled were anything spectacular. If you're gonna create boring, rehashed, nature shots then you might as well strive to be the best. You're the type of person that aspires to shoot for National Geographic, but never will. In a short and endless unromanticized process that ultimately leaves you with nothing. That's not even the real crime though, the real crime is how you tarnish what fine artists have worked endlessly to establish. You call yourself an artist, but where is your concept? I don't see one. Perhaps there is one, maybe underlying, but in the end all you have created is ineffective visual data. My friend, perhaps you should consider putting down the camera and attending a fine art class at your local community college then maybe you would understand what art truly is. You're a technology whore that believes a better camera takes a better image. You lack inspiration, and that becomes crystal clear in the rendering of your images. The images you provide appeal to a larger audience because they are uneducated, not because they are good; they are pedestrian images in the best scenario. (not trying to be rude... just my opinion!)



Do me next! Do me next!

Flickr: Bitter Jeweler's Photostream
 
Damn.. I like that! I am a TECHNOLOGY WHORE! Yaaaaayyyy!!!! :)
 
cgipson1, I just looked at your work and I feel the same way about you. Where is the artistic value in taking landscape photos? You could argue that you're creating art through some Duchamp complex, but I would certainty beg to differ. There isn't artistic value in your work, you're barely succeeding from a technical standpoint. None of your images that I sampled were anything spectacular. If you're gonna create boring, rehashed, nature shots then you might as well strive to be the best. You're the type of person that aspires to shoot for National Geographic, but never will. In a short and endless unromanticized process that ultimately leaves you with nothing. That's not even the real crime though, the real crime is how you tarnish what fine artists have worked endlessly to establish. You call yourself an artist, but where is your concept? I don't see one. Perhaps there is one, maybe underlying, but in the end all you have created is ineffective visual data. My friend, perhaps you should consider putting down the camera and attending a fine art class at your local community college then maybe you would understand what art truly is. You're a technology whore that believes a better camera takes a better image. You lack inspiration, and that becomes crystal clear in the rendering of your images. The images you provide appeal to a larger audience because they are uneducated, not because they are good; they are pedestrian images in the best scenario. (not trying to be rude... just my opinion!)

That was douchey and uncalled for. Especially coming from an 18 year old college freshman who probably hasn't studied fine art ever in his life. Interesting attacks from someone who essentially has walled themselves into light painting and doesn't do anything else. I understand all you have is a D50 and kit lens, but don't get mad at others because they have more invested into photography than you do. Grow up.

Not trying to be rude... Just my opinion.
 
LIGHT PAINTING! <snicker!>
 
Clay.. see how nice everyone is? They are offering a new career as a critic!

You know what they say... "if you can't play, then coach!!".. so I guess this is the art worlds version of that...."If you can't be an artist, be a critic!"
 
Clay Howard-Smith said:
cgipson1, I just looked at your work and I feel the same way about you. Where is the artistic value in taking landscape photos? You could argue that you're creating art through some Duchamp complex, but I would certainty beg to differ. There isn't artistic value in your work, you're barely succeeding from a technical standpoint. None of your images that I sampled were anything spectacular. If you're gonna create boring, rehashed, nature shots then you might as well strive to be the best. You're the type of person that aspires to shoot for National Geographic, but never will. In a short and endless unromanticized process that ultimately leaves you with nothing. That's not even the real crime though, the real crime is how you tarnish what fine artists have worked endlessly to establish. You call yourself an artist, but where is your concept? I don't see one. Perhaps there is one, maybe underlying, but in the end all you have created is ineffective visual data. My friend, perhaps you should consider putting down the camera and attending a fine art class at your local community college then maybe you would understand what art truly is. You're a technology whore that believes a better camera takes a better image. You lack inspiration, and that becomes crystal clear in the rendering of your images. The images you provide appeal to a larger audience because they are uneducated, not because they are good; they are pedestrian images in the best scenario. (not trying to be rude... just my opinion!)

Clay Howard-Smith said:
cgipson1, I just looked at your work and I feel the same way about you. Where is the artistic value in taking landscape photos? You could argue that you're creating art through some Duchamp complex, but I would certainty beg to differ. There isn't artistic value in your work, you're barely succeeding from a technical standpoint. None of your images that I sampled were anything spectacular. If you're gonna create boring, rehashed, nature shots then you might as well strive to be the best. You're the type of person that aspires to shoot for National Geographic, but never will. In a short and endless unromanticized process that ultimately leaves you with nothing. That's not even the real crime though, the real crime is how you tarnish what fine artists have worked endlessly to establish. You call yourself an artist, but where is your concept? I don't see one. Perhaps there is one, maybe underlying, but in the end all you have created is ineffective visual data. My friend, perhaps you should consider putting down the camera and attending a fine art class at your local community college then maybe you would understand what art truly is. You're a technology whore that believes a better camera takes a better image. You lack inspiration, and that becomes crystal clear in the rendering of your images. The images you provide appeal to a larger audience because they are uneducated, not because they are good; they are pedestrian images in the best scenario. (not trying to be rude... just my opinion!)

Wow! I didn't realize cgipson was asking for YOU to critique his work. You asked the people on this forum to go to your website and critique YOUR work! Welcome to the forum!
 
cgipson1, I just looked at your work and I feel the same way about you. Where is the artistic value in taking landscape photos? You could argue that you're creating art through some Duchamp complex, but I would certainty beg to differ. There isn't artistic value in your work, you're barely succeeding from a technical standpoint. None of your images that I sampled were anything spectacular. If you're gonna create boring, rehashed, nature shots then you might as well strive to be the best. You're the type of person that aspires to shoot for National Geographic, but never will. In a short and endless unromanticized process that ultimately leaves you with nothing. That's not even the real crime though, the real crime is how you tarnish what fine artists have worked endlessly to establish. You call yourself an artist, but where is your concept? I don't see one. Perhaps there is one, maybe underlying, but in the end all you have created is ineffective visual data. My friend, perhaps you should consider putting down the camera and attending a fine art class at your local community college then maybe you would understand what art truly is. You're a technology whore that believes a better camera takes a better image. You lack inspiration, and that becomes crystal clear in the rendering of your images. The images you provide appeal to a larger audience because they are uneducated, not because they are good; they are pedestrian images in the best scenario. (not trying to be rude... just my opinion!)
I think you may have inadvertently answered your own question as to why you are not getting rave reviews of your work. I glanced at your photographs and to be quite honest the only ones there that appealed to me at all were those taken in Kenya. It's not from a technical standpoint, it's just that I never took a course in fine art either so apparently I'm also unable to appreciate your work.

Art, and what one construes as being art, are completely and entirely in the eye of the beholder. What you perceive as art I may perceive as a waste of bandwidth. What I perceive as art you may perceive as a waste of bandwidth. That, in and of itself, means nothing. It simply means that we have differing tastes in what we appreciate. You like abstractions, I do not. I like nature and wildlife, you do not. That does not mean that either are wrong or less "Artistic" only that they are viewed differently by two different people.

If you like what you produce then by all means keep doing it your way. I like what I do so I'll keep doing it my way. The same goes for everyone here. Personally, as I've said before: My views on art are like my views on wine. If someone has to explain to me why I should like it I'll take a beer. Right now I think I'll go have a beer.
 
I'm not interested (and that seems to be a common drift) in going to go to your website to see your pics.

And you are not interested in posting images on this forum. So it's pretty simple. Go away.
 
I tried to view your photos, though the link you provided. It doesn't work. If we can't see your site, how do you figure we may see your photos?
 
Link works fine here.



Clay, if you can get past this fine thread, I hope you stick around to help others on the forum. There are not many people here who have studied art as a college major and there is a great need for more voices that speak from that background. You can help educate all the "Charlies" of the forum. You might even find yourself in some hot art debate. Please, Clay, make yourself at home. The beer is in the fridge an the nuts are all over the board.
 
I tried to view your photos, though the link you provided. It doesn't work. If we can't see your site, how do you figure we may see your photos?

Here ya go!

Clay Howard-Smith Photography | All Avenues of Photography

EDIT: as Bitter said.. the link is working fine....
 
Clay, if you can get past this fine thread, I hope you stick around to help others on the forum. There are not many people here who have studied art as a college major and there is a great need for more voices that speak from that background. You can help educate all the "Charlies" of the forum. You might even find yourself in some hot art debate. Please, Clay, make yourself at home. The beer is in the fridge an the nuts are all over the board.

Sure Bitter! I am just a Technology Whore! :)
 
Hey, go with what you know!

But, wasn't it you that we had a great discussion about abstract art with, and you gave a shot at thinking in that manner?
That's what this place is for. I'd rather argue in art speak with Clay than read another "what camera, lens, lights, settings" thread or look at another OOF image of someones child for the 372 time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom