exif data for film

Man, I never really tried to actually add stuff into the exif on film shots. It's kind of a pain in the ass in Linux. There are lots of tools that can do it, but none of them seem to have a good GUI.

ExifTool seems good (and there is a Windows version that has a GUI - CLI only on Linux though). Finally figured out how to add my camera and lens into the exif, lol.

$ exiftool -overwrite_original -make=Fujifilm -model=GF670 -FocalLength=80 -lens='EBC Fujinon 80mm 1:3.5' ~/'Directory the picture is in'/'Name of picture.jpg'
(The 'overwrite original' part isn't necessary - if you leave that out it does the same thing, it just makes a copy and adds _original to the end of the original file name. You can also leave the file name off the end and will apply the new exif to everything in that directory. You can also add anything else that would normally be in the exif, like F-Number, 35mm equivalent, etc... I haven't tried yet, but I think I can even make a new category in the exif that says what film/developer I used. )

edit
Looked into adding new fields to the exif (like 'Film' and 'Developer'), and it is possible - it's just more work than I want to do. :lol:

Last edited:
I use Irfanview as my default photo viewer in windows and the EXIF info is just a click of the mouse.Ron G

I use Irfanview as my default photo viewer in windows and the EXIF info is just a click of the mouse.Ron G

with a scanned negative? Does it just provide the scanning info?

No,I have never seen a negative with any EXIF info on it.I am sure that you would need some special accomodation provided by the camera to record that.I use Vuescan with all of my scanners.If there was a call for that in his software I am quite sure that he would include it,Mr Hamrick is very easy to talk to.Ron G

Most reactions

Back