Expectations When Going out to Shoot

To be honest i just send my wife in shoe store,that gives me at lease our and half hour of free time for photography.

Your photo page has plenty of nice family shots mixed with scenery and action types. Many of the kid's shots are taken unposed which adds to their quality as they tell as story. One fun thing that I've been doing the last few years is taking my vacation, travel, or party type shots and assembling them into a video slide program to show on my HDTV and now UHDTV 4K. I add music, a few video clips with the stills, dissolves, titles and credits, and I get a 10-30 minute show that looks great on a big screen. So you would do one for example, "Family Trip to Disneyworld". Include shots that provide beginnings and endings such as airport shots, location signs, etc. Think story. There's always a few minutes where you can get a great action or landscape shot.

To be honest i just send my wife in shoe store,that gives me at lease our and half hour of free time for photography.
When we were in Bryce Canyon National Park, I asked my wife if she would like to join me shooting the sunrise; it was also 21 degrees F that morning as well. Naturally she preferred sleeping and was happy not having to go along. In retrospect, I'm not sure who got the better deal.

I believe sometimes folks get the wrong idea about GREAT shots. They think photographers go out to shoot GREAT shots, get them and then go home. (Some folks do but not many)
My thought is that I go out and shoot, most are not good at all, some may be keepers and occasionally a good shot is available in front of the camera and perhaps, maybe, I'm all set and get the shot.
The more you shoot the higher your percentage of keepers becomes. If you're always looking just for THE GREAT SHOT you miss most of them.

Nobody says you have to take your camera for a photo shoot every time you go out. Those snap shots will mean far more than your finest "artwork" photography sooner than you may think.

Of course it never hurts to practice a little composition, even when trying to gather the family flock. At times, it can be like herding cats.

Good luck

Candid photos of your family will become your wall-hangers. Interaction between your wife and child will provide you with " the shot ". I love the way my better half looks at the grandson. Pure love has a unique quality that professional posing and editing cannot duplicate.

When I SHOOT, I have a mindset change, and I treat it like a job.
That is NOT good when with family, as I then tend to ignore the family.

There is a happy medium that YOU have to figure out.
As others have said, years from now, when your kid is a teen and constantly out with his friends, or when he has kids of his own, those "snapshots" will be of great sentimental value.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back