Expectations When Going out to Shoot

AlexGavillan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello friends :) So we had a family outing to SeaWorld this weekend with the family and decided to take the camera to try and snap some keepers. Couldn't get any great pics of any animals with my current lens setup, 35mm and 18-55mm Kit lens, not enough reach for anything not in my face :)

So I think I just assume that I cant take my camera out and just point and shoot and bring home these AMAZING photos, if anything all I'm capturing are some snapshots, if you will of a family outing. Now, I know if I wasn't with my 2.5 year old and wife, I could take a LOT more time in finding a nice composition, waiting for the moment and capture something amazing.

Since I am still a novice to say the least, I REALLY need to think about composure and what the story I want to tell, and set expectations with myself.

I think I'm looking for some affirmation haha or something along those lines? Its rare that I get a chance to go out on my own for a photo walk kind of thing, at least during the day with a 2.5 year old :) I swear im not blaming the baby haha, just being a good husband and dad :)

I think you should enjoy your family outings and just take snapshots. Sometimes I think we get caught up in technicalities and composition etc. Later on when your kids are older those "snapshots " will be invaluable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What I did/do for places like Sea World, Disney etc was to let family time be family time and use my phone camera or put my dslr in A mode and snap away for snapshots. If at all possible, I would get an hour or two on my own when everyone else was sleeping in or napping and I would go out and get my non family photos. If you want the photo time, you need to give up the zzz's or trade off with the spouse for an hour and give each of you a little me time.

Stapo49 is absolutely correct. When the baby is 15 and doesn't want to be anywhere near you, you can get all the artsy Sea World photos you want.

With the family:

While the family was enjoying some rest time:

Family vacations and serious photography do not mix. Mixing the two gets frustrating for all parties. When the toddler naps, grab your camera and shoot around your place, inside and out. Sharpen your eye to see images of things you usually take for granted, for things you normally walk on by. Shoot the sleeping kid. The next time you get the chance, do it again ... look for different photos ... improve on what you previously shot. Use different settings.

At the Circus with the Grandson:

GRAA0486.jpg

GRAB0686.jpg

GRAB0157-XL.jpg

GRAA0008-L.jpg

GRAB0414.jpg

Thanks guys! I figured it was a balance. I'm sure you pros can capture keepers a lot easier but I know that comes from experience which is what I'm working on. This is what I needed to hear to affirm my own assumptions. Really appreciate it.

Alex

I looked at your Instagram page...plenty of good shots...attractive wife, adorable child...not sure what the issue is except that at longer distances, the 35mm and the 18-55mm zoom are pretty limiting focal lengths on an APS-C d-slr. I dunno...for large outdoor venues like SeaWorld,etc.., I think a zoom lens that's got some 'reach' to it is very helpful. When my son was younger, I liked the 28-200mm Nikkor zoom lens on the ole' D70 Nikon for day trips and vacation shoots; that lens, the 28-200 G-series, gave me an FX-equivalent angle of view of 42mm to 300mm...LOADS of range! A lot of focal lengths to chose from.

I think that a LOT of good pictures are made with a very selective angle of view; look at Gary A's fine photos above...all pretty narrow-angle view, not wide, all-encompassing views, but small, narrow-angle "slices of life".

Not sure what your expectations are...you can decide ahead of time to 1) to go out and shoot and be successful, or 10)chuck in the towel before heading out and not even try; and then there are eight, separate levels in between 1 and 10. I guess the expectations can be set by you. And, again...your Instagram has some nice pictures. I know you _can_ shoot decent family pics. There's plenty of proof on your IG page.

My 50mm 1.8 was my go to lens for family stuff, but it really lacked the reach. Just keep shooting. I didn’t think I was really improving because it happened slowly but I look back through my pictures from when I started out and the pictures I thought were good back then I’m almost embarrassed of.

Also, those snapshots are essential to have context of what is going on. Posed shots look great when you can get them but if you’re like me you want these pictures for memories and snapping a couple pics here and there throughout the activity help you remember those moments.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I know it's down the road a ways, but turn your daughter into a photographer. Then you make it a photo trip and it's ok because "it's for the kids." Next thing you know, the snap shots end up like my profile photo - not at all set up, just the way we roll.

The more you shoot ... the better you will become.

Indeed, we have a long weekend coming up and I plan on taking advantage of that and going out to shoot :)

I looked at your Instagram page...plenty of good shots...attractive wife, adorable child...not sure what the issue is except that at longer distances, the 35mm and the 18-55mm zoom are pretty limiting focal lengths on an APS-C d-slr. I dunno...for large outdoor venues like SeaWorld,etc.., I think a zoom lens that's got some 'reach' to it is very helpful. When my son was younger, I liked the 28-200mm Nikkor zoom lens on the ole' D70 Nikon for day trips and vacation shoots; that lens, the 28-200 G-series, gave me an FX-equivalent angle of view of 42mm to 300mm...LOADS of range! A lot of focal lengths to chose from.

I think that a LOT of good pictures are made with a very selective angle of view; look at Gary A's fine photos above...all pretty narrow-angle view, not wide, all-encompassing views, but small, narrow-angle "slices of life".

Not sure what your expectations are...you can decide ahead of time to 1) to go out and shoot and be successful, or 10)chuck in the towel before heading out and not even try; and then there are eight, separate levels in between 1 and 10. I guess the expectations can be set by you. And, again...your Instagram has some nice pictures. I know you _can_ shoot decent family pics. There's plenty of proof on your IG page.

Thank you! Appreciate the compliment, its nice to see progress too,from some of those first shots with an old point and shoot to where I am now. I was also thinking about picking up a zoom lens as well, just to have in my arsenal.

My 50mm 1.8 was my go to lens for family stuff, but it really lacked the reach. Just keep shooting. I didn’t think I was really improving because it happened slowly but I look back through my pictures from when I started out and the pictures I thought were good back then I’m almost embarrassed of.

Also, those snapshots are essential to have context of what is going on. Posed shots look great when you can get them but if you’re like me you want these pictures for memories and snapping a couple pics here and there throughout the activity help you remember those moments.

Agreed! Thanks!

I know it's down the road a ways, but turn your daughter into a photographer. Then you make it a photo trip and it's ok because "it's for the kids." Next thing you know, the snap shots end up like my profile photo - not at all set up, just the way we roll.

:) I was thinking the same thing haha, my wife is slowly getting into it so I'm sure I can turn my daughter to it as well.

Thanks everyone! Again, such a nice community here and I always feel welcome and am never afraid to just lay it out there haha.

You're a novice with a kit lens...not sure what sorta mind blowing photos you were expecting.
just take some fun photos and enjoy the outing.

No need to worry about getting exciting photos of animals performing.

You're a novice with a kit lens...not sure what sorta mind blowing photos you were expecting.
just take some fun photos and enjoy the outing.

No need to worry about getting exciting photos of animals performing.

Hey, I got myself a 35mm 1.8 :) not the best glass but night and day from my kit lens. We went again today and I had a much better and less stressful time. I plan on picking up a a 50-200 or 70-300 as my next lens purchase.

Hello friends :) So we had a family outing to SeaWorld this weekend with the family and decided to take the camera to try and snap some keepers. Couldn't get any great pics of any animals with my current lens setup, 35mm and 18-55mm Kit lens, not enough reach for anything not in my face :)

So I think I just assume that I cant take my camera out and just point and shoot and bring home these AMAZING photos, if anything all I'm capturing are some snapshots, if you will of a family outing. Now, I know if I wasn't with my 2.5 year old and wife, I could take a LOT more time in finding a nice composition, waiting for the moment and capture something amazing.

Since I am still a novice to say the least, I REALLY need to think about composure and what the story I want to tell, and set expectations with myself.

I think I'm looking for some affirmation haha or something along those lines? Its rare that I get a chance to go out on my own for a photo walk kind of thing, at least during the day with a 2.5 year old :) I swear im not blaming the baby haha, just being a good husband and dad :)

Alex, IMO, you have things in proper order. Have fun and pick up a lightweight zoom with some reach. I took the grandkids to the Zoo and I just brought along a 55-200 zoom for my Fujifilm X-Pro 2. I took more pics of them than the animals. It was nice to be able to grab a few of images using the zoom.

Most reactions

Back