jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This guy was circling overhead. These shots are always a challenge for me, overhead, moving, and at a distance, and the Winter sun in the afternoon. I tried two PP approaches on this one.
Shot with the Tamron 18-400mm. f/6.3 1/1250 ISO 500 400mm EC +2

1 DeNoise AI/Sharpen AI/GigaPixel AI/Aurora HDR
jan22202201a by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 DeNoise AI/Sharpen AI/GigaPixel AI/LR/PSE
jan22202201b by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Nice capture! I love the tail feathers!

Maybe a closer crop? And it looks maybe a little soft.

Nice capture! I love the tail feathers!

Maybe a closer crop? And it looks maybe a little soft.
Thanks! It's already cropped quite a bit, so a closer crop may degrade the IQ. Yes, it's a little soft, which is a problem with the Tamron lens when it's at 400mm. It's sweet spot is about 200mm or less. I'd like to get a better lens (it's not a bad lens), but I like my kidneys too much. :)

Ok, here's a closer crop, with additional tweaks to the exposure and contrast. Some degradation, but not too much. I also tried to work with the shadows, so the beak area has a little more blue to it now.

jan22202201c by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr
Much better :) Nice shooting!

I had the Tamron 55-600mm (?) for a while, but it was never tack sharp at long telephoto distances. I was also shooting on APS-C bodies until I finally gave up and got an FF body and Nikon prime telephoto lens. What a difference. As an amateur it was an imposing price tag, but totally changed everything for me. And my current rig is old and low end compared to professional shooters!

There's a lot of used FF DSLRs going for reasonable prices these days since mirrorless is killing them off. And they will only get cheaper.

Much better :) Nice shooting!

I had the Tamron 55-600mm (?) for a while, but it was never tack sharp at long telephoto distances. I was also shooting on APS-C bodies until I finally gave up and got an FF body and Nikon prime telephoto lens. What a difference. As an amateur it was an imposing price tag, but totally changed everything for me. And my current rig is old and low end compared to professional shooters!

There's a lot of used FF DSLRs going for reasonable prices these days since mirrorless is killing them off. And they will only get cheaper.
Thanks! Yes, I have a Canon 90D APS-C. It was a step up from my original Canon 2000D. Some day I may treat myself to something better, but for now I'm prepping for retirement in the next five to ten years.

Thanks! Yes, I have a Canon 90D APS-C. It was a step up from my original Canon 2000D. Some day I may treat myself to something better, but for now I'm prepping for retirement in the next five to ten years.
Now I'm jealous. I want a 90D for my 2nd wide shot/landscape camera. I have the lenses but using a Rebel T7i for the body. It gets knocked around a lot, it may not be long for this world :(

I prefer Canon for walk around and people photography. I picked up used full frame 6D for a couple hundred bucks, but prefer the weight of T7i if I'm carrying two cameras. My long wildlife rig is Nikon.

Good luck on the retirement plans! It's everything you think it is!

Oh I agree Mitch- I have 3 x Mirrorless bodies and all have massive sensors 42Mp -50Mp & 61Mp.

So for me ( as I sell images to make a $) Is paramount, twin these with a 600mm lens and its a no brainer for me - Ok they are expensive but the IQ can be amazing and the rewards can be great financially :)

The larger the sensor the larger the crop value and much much better IQ - I have APS-C modes on all my cameras and I set a custom button to switch to this function should I need it- ( I very rarely do though)

As an example on a Sony a7Riv ( Has 61Mp- and with a 600mm lens ,when I switch I get a 26Mp image @ a massive 900mm

I believe Mirrorless is the future- others may disagree and I respect that of course :)

Just my take on things

Les :)

Oh I agree Mitch- I have 3 x Mirrorless bodies and all have massive sensors 42Mp -50Mp & 61Mp.

So for me ( as I sell images to make a $) Is paramount, twin these with a 600mm lens and its a no brainer for me - Ok they are expensive but the IQ can be amazing and the rewards can be great financially :)

The larger the sensor the larger the crop value and much much better IQ - I have APS-C modes on all my cameras and I set a custom button to switch to this function should I need it- ( I very rarely do though)

As an example on a Sony a7Riv ( Has 61Mp- and with a 600mm lens ,when I switch I get a 26Mp image @ a massive 900mm

I believe Mirrorless is the future- others may disagree and I respect that of course :)

Just my take on things

Les :)

The future for other people than me ;) I have extreme arthritis in my hands and just can't handle those small bodies. Not that I mind, the lenses are coming down in price too!

The future for other people than me ;) I have extreme arthritis in my hands and just can't handle those small bodies. Not that I mind, the lenses are coming down in price too!
Oh sorry to hear that Buddy - I always use a battery grip so the body becomes a little better ergonomically speaking and easier to handle when wearing leather gloves in winter

Seen here on my a7Riv with my Tripod set up - Mobile phone image :)

z52oSS4.jpg

Les

I love the crop Jeff. It looks like an eagle right.

Most reactions

Back