Experimenting with 2 hour development

gsgary

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.gsgary.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over Christmas i shot a roll of HP5 at iso1600 and did a 2 hour developement in Rodinal i think it looks quite good

rchie%202hr%20dev1-L.jpg

Gary, so your chemicals are pretty much diluted, hence the long times...?

I'm not using Rodinal, but Arista at 1:9, and mine are 2 minutes for FB paper, 1.5 minutes for RC paper. Do the long times, help with the blacks, and holding the whites?

I'm still experimenting with different papers, but not so much developers yet.

Image looks nice btw.

Gary, so your chemicals are pretty much diluted, hence the long times...?

I'm not using Rodinal, but Arista at 1:9, and mine are 2 minutes for FB paper, 1.5 minutes for RC paper. Do the long times, help with the blacks, and holding the whites?

I'm still experimenting with different papers, but not so much developers yet.

Image looks nice btw.

Rodinal was diluted 1+100, i'm hoping to set up an enlarger in a few months and start wet printing, i have read that long developement helps with blacks and white but i really want to try 2 bath developing my negetives

What a great result! I would never guess that was an iso1600; there is scarcely any grain. I would imagine your choice of development helped you here. Great work.

The picture is quite small, so we cannot see very much, but I have developed a LOT of Tri-X in Rodinal...and that shot looks to have very fine grain and wonderful tonality for a fast film exposed at E.I. 1600!!!! That looks pretty damned nice actually...I don't see the obvious "grainy" look that Rodinal can produce. Is this done with like just an initial agitation of the tank to dislodge the air bubbles and then the new-fashioned "stand" developing, where you just let the film soak and go drink a couple of pints while the developer works its magic???

The picture is quite small, so we cannot see very much, but I have developed a LOT of Tri-X in Rodinal...and that shot looks to have very fine grain and wonderful tonality for a fast film exposed at E.I. 1600!!!! That looks pretty damned nice actually...I don't see the obvious "grainy" look that Rodinal can produce. Is this done with like just an initial agitation of the tank to dislodge the air bubbles and then the new-fashioned "stand" developing, where you just let the film soak and go drink a couple of pints while the developer works its magic???

Yes agitate for first minute tap it on table and leave and drink bottles of real ale

Good work Gary. But I bet you, you would have same result after only 30 min. What was the temperature after 30 min ?

Sometime when you have 12 hours to spare, shoot a test roll of film and use the developer of your choice, only take a 2" diameter PVC tube and seal off one end, make a couple of notches in the rim of the open end an insert a wood dowel flush to the rim (threaded works best but it can be done either way, clip a weighted clip to the opposite end of the film, immerse it is the developer, clipped again to the top dowel, then put on the cap. Let stand overnight and finish processing as you normally would.

Call me nuts, but it works great, especially with Pyro. Learned this from Al Weber and David Vestal in a workshop at the Photographer's Formulary in Condon, MT.

Most reactions

Back