What's new

Experimenting with low key

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
3,644
Reaction score
757
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Debated on this being in the just for fun or general gallery. I guess I put it in general, because I wouldn't mind C&C on it.

Basically at night, with a Metz AF 50 in slave mode into a reflective umbrella outside a window. Used a gobo to contain spill into the rest of the room.

I'm pretty fascinated with low key, though this is perhaps a bit too far. Maybe next shot I'll try to figure how to give the background a touch of subtle texture. Maybe use a reflector on my master flash (Metz AF 58 attached via hot shoe cable) to spill just a touch of light into the room. Anyway:


DSC_4511 by franklinrabon, on Flickr
 
Hmmmm... I like where this is going, but I really think it needs a touch more light; not much maybe 1/16 stop, but right now, IMO, it's verging on 'no key' rather than 'low key'.
 
Hmmmm... I like where this is going, but I really think it needs a touch more light; not much maybe 1/16 stop, but right now, IMO, it's verging on 'no key' rather than 'low key'.

Hmm, there's a bit of info in the raw file that I think I could noiselessly pull out. Maybe I'll play with it a bit and see what that gives.
 
Maybe a touch more light, but I really like it. Did you give him the dog treat he was staring at? :-)
 
If you could pull just enough to continue the silhouette line from the crown of his head to the one on his muzzle, you'd have it. That little break is what's bothering me.
 
I'd like just a touch more of the highlight. It's gorgeous!
 
Like this?



8193922863_1779c75fba_b-2.jpg
 
Still needz moar lite...
 
oh, and it's the one good thing that the commander light flashes are good for, she always stares at them, haha.
 
I like that last version. A lot!

What really happened here was that I had jacked the brightness on my monitor earlier today while playing a game that had details I needed to see in dark shadows. Forgot to turn it down when editing this shot, hahaha. Calibrating your monitor does no good when you then turn the brightness way up.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom