limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got a brick of expired Agfa Vista 400 a while back from @MartinCrabtree and I am finally breaking into it. I shot two test rolls and decided that it needs to be shot at half box speed. A lot of my shots were underexposed and grainy, but there were a few that I liked.

rPeace
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rCuba

The following two are the straight scans. I kind of like the faded look, but I also tried them with a bit of color correction. I can't tell if they look too blue or if they just seem that way in comparison to the straight scans. Thoughts?

(The color corrections are uploaded files - file size is small because I'm trying to avoid them appearing as massive pictures and didn't feel like uploading them to Flickr.)

Straight scan:

rRooftop

Corrected:

rRooftop cc.jpg

Same rooftop, portrait - straight scan:

rRooftop 2

Color correction:

rRooftop 2 cc.jpg

Last edited:
Those are mostly very high contrast shots, so you take your chances when choosing exposure. They're far from awful.

The only stale-dated film I shoot is a shrinking stash that got that way on my watch(bought new and stored under known conditions). Frankly don't get buying old material now when film's future is so iffy.

While I appreciate your comments on the image, I really don't care for a discussion about buying expired vs fresh film.

Last edited:
Fuji Superia 400 is the same material.

One last time: I do NOT care to make this a discussion about the relative merits of expired vs fresh film. If you want to continue along this vein, start your own damn thread and keep out of mine.

While I really like the uncorrected, straight scans, I’m gravitating towards the color corrected versions.

Also, love the shots! :)

While I really like the uncorrected, straight scans, I’m gravitating towards the color corrected versions.

Thanks, Wade :) I keep going back and forth. I think I might go back and try tweaking in different ways to see if I can come up with a comprimise.

I don't see a huge difference since the color correction is subtle. I like the first one color corrected a bit more in the darker area (brown back of a piece of furniture). For the second one I like the uncorrected one better because the corrected one is going a bit magenta (in the umbrella).

I used to use Agfa Vista a lot, I liked it and was bummed when Agfa quit making it. I think any I had left in my stash in the fridge got used up and is long gone, although I may hunt and forage in the bottom of the produce drawer; you never know, there certainly isn't any produce down in there! (in the drawer I mean, there is produce in the fridge...)

Thanks, Wade :) I keep going back and forth. I think I might go back and try tweaking in different ways to see if I can come up with a comprimise.
It's a tough call. The originals are a touch warmer.

I know what you mean on going back and forth, they both look good. The original seems to be warmer, but also with a greenish hue. I tend to lean towards cooler/coolish processing, and I prefer the magenta hue in the processed ones.

I've revisited these a couple of times. I like them a lot--the repeating patterns, the angles, the negative space. The bottles in "Cuba" act like a skyline which contrast with the mountains in the back. Very nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back