Expodisc

It's not that they are better or worse. They both serve the same purpose at the end of the day.

What will make it better for YOU, depends your shooting style and subjects. Go take one for a spin and see if you like it.

In studio, I use a grey card. Out and about I use nothing but my eye and manually modified WB. By when shooting people in constantly changing scenery and lighting conditions, where set-up has to be quick, I love the ExpoDisc.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

I have an Expodisc, had it for 5 years, and it works perfectly. With Expodisc you can even set white balance from your flash. You don't have to worry about positioning an Exposdisc and can point it directly at a light source, or away from it, to set WB.

In the years that I've had mine I have seen many comments on Forums and have found the big complaint to be the price of one. Most people that have made comments against it have not used one, interestingly. It is also a lot easier to carry than a grey card!

Get one at least as big as your largest lens. You can hold it against the front of smaller lenses, but it does need to be as big as the largest lens that you will use it for.

This photo was taken with Sodium Vapor lighting (awful) as the only light source but the WB was set with the Expodisc! You can see the reflections of one of the lights in the glasses and it appears white instead of yellow.

24721277_adeb61a1fa_o.jpg

Go buy some white coffee filters and a rubber band and you'll be good.
They're cheap, light, and effective.

$19 for the keychain version :lol:
Ya, the keychain version is an ornament. Like back in the day when big wall rock climbers kept a #1 RURP on their keychains.

They gave me one for free.

When the box for the first Whibal card I ordered arrived, the box was empty. Oops!!! ;)

A quick email to Raw Workflow and they got another box, with the product in it, sent right out but they incuded the keychain version, gratis.

Mine's clipped to my daily RS-2 strap.

Yeah I have one and use it. It pretty much does the same thing as a generic grey card and is easier to carry aound.

I also use the WhiBal and love it. Wouldn't use anything else.

One problem I see with the Expodisc is that it only 'sees' the ambient light at the lens - which won't always be the same light as the subject.

If you're really set on getting one though, you can get the exact same results with a styrofoam cup.

Some of you may remember a thread by Helen B a while back where she tested this...
If I remember correctly - the styrofoam cup actually worked better than the Expodisc in some cases.

Last edited:
I have to add that although I have an Expodisk I often don't have it with me when I need it. So, I'll set WB on almost anything handy that is "white", then I adjust in Photoshop.

So, bottom line, unless you know you will have a lighting situation that begs for an Expodisk or grey card, you likely won't need it and can get by with whatever is handy. I like having mine just in case, but it's also too small for my 77mm lenses because when I got it several years ago I didn't think I'd own a 77mm lens!

I got an ExpoDisc few weeks ago. I gotta say I prefer it over a gray card.
Here is my detailed review: ExpoDisc

expodisc-full-package.jpg
expodisc-bearing.jpg

expodisc-sunlight-after.jpg
expodisc-headlights-after.jpg

ExpoDisc vs. gray card:

• When using a gray card, you may need to find a way to put your gray card into the scene and step back to do the color reading. Using ExpoDisc is always a breeze.
  • Reflections off of a gray card might affect you color reading. With ExpoDisc, you don't need to watch out for the reflections.
  • ExpoDisc is accurately calibrated, and it does not shift in color over time, like some cheaper gray cards.
  • ExpoDisc is easy to use in any weather conditions.
  • ExpoDisc is more durable than the majority of gray cards since its optical materials are enclosed in an anodized aluminum ring.

ExpoDisc vs. gray card:
Reflections off of a gray card might affect you color reading. With ExpoDisc, you don't need to watch out for the reflections.
A decent grey card will have an incredibly matte surface recording all light that hits it neutral. That's exactly what you want in a grey card.
ExpoDisc is accurately calibrated, and it does not shift in color over time, like some cheaper gray cards.
You could buy 10 cheap grey cards for the cost of an ExpoDisc, or about 3-5 very well calibrated ones.
ExpoDisc is more durable than the majority of gray cards since its optical materials are enclosed in an anodized aluminum ring.
After spending $100 (less than the cost of an ExpoDisc) on a colour checker passport I get a GretagMacbeth colour checker chart, a white balance adjustment chart, and a quality grey card in a tiny conveniently pocket sized hard ABS case. This has already survived one roll down about 20 stairs.

I'm not saying the ExpoDisc is bad in any way, in fact from what I've heard it's probably very good, but your post completely undervalues quite how good a quality grey card is, and ignores the price differences between them.

If you need to set WB and
You can afford an Expodisc
Get one!

If you can't afford an Expodisc, get a grey card, etc.

Most reactions

Back