Exporting from Lightroom question

It depends on what your customer is going to with the files. (Whether these are going to be printed or posted on the internet.) [/QUOTE said:
Let's say person #1 wants them printed. And let's say person #2 wants them uploaded to social media. what would you do for each?

Irrelevant dude, IRRELEVANT. :)
Let the person printing it adjust it to HIS needs.
You just send the file.
Not irrelevant, if you want to keep a client.

It depends on what your customer is going to with the files. (Whether these are going to be printed or posted on the internet.) [/QUOTE said:
Let's say person #1 wants them printed. And let's say person #2 wants them uploaded to social media. what would you do for each?

You just send the file.

What do you see that is different between these two photos that makes PPI relevant?

Joe

72ppi.jpg
9000ppi.jpg

I sell them to clients of mine (families). I mainly do newborn, children, & family photography. I also do headshots. They all buy the digital files and then do with it what they want...share on social media, print out photos, canvases etc...

You just send the file.

What do you see that is different between these two photos that makes PPI relevant?

Joe

View attachment 116950 View attachment 116951
That's not the point - not all clients know how to resize/resample etc in order to make the right spec file for their needs. So you provide them with what they DO need. Also, speed is often of the essence so to say "here's your high (full) res file, from a 36 megapixie D810, sort it out yourself for your website" is not only not helpful to your client, but it is also daft to yourself, as it is likely to get nicked!

I sell them to clients of mine (families). I mainly do newborn, children, & family photography. I also do headshots. They all buy the digital files and then do with it what they want...share on social media, print out photos, canvases etc...

Do you provide different social media versions with different pixel dimensions and sharpened for screen display versus print output versions at full-camera res and sharpened for different types of print output?

Joe

You just send the file.

Joe

That's not the point - not all clients know how to resize/resample etc in order to make the right spec file for their needs. So you provide them with what they DO need. Also, speed is often of the essence so to say "here's your high (full) res file, from a 36 megapixie D810, sort it out yourself for your website" is not only not helpful to your client, but it is also daft to yourself, as it is likely to get nicked!

That misses the point and doesn't answer my question. Why 72 PPI for websites as opposed to 5000 PPI for websites? It is in fact irrelevant. How is it not?

Joe

no

Do you provide different social media versions with different pixel dimensions and sharpened for screen display versus print output versions at full-camera res and sharpened for different types of print output?

Joe

The problem with that is that you have no control over the quality of those prints, and your reputation rides on it. I suggest you offer packages tailored around their uses of the files, if you really must licence the digi files, and size accordingly (which is not just to do with ppi/dpi), plus recommend a print supplier whose quality you have checked.

Joe
no.

a

You just send the file.

Joe

That misses the point and doesn't answer my question. Why 72 PPI for websites as opposed to 5000 PPI for websites? It is in fact irrelevant. How is it not?

Joe
Are you being purposefully stupid? 72ppi for a website is fine - 5000ppi is overkill and will give a thief ample opportunity to get a great free print from your work, not to mention be too stupidly big a filesize.

unfortunately, I'm not even sure where to begin with this:(
The problem with that is that you have no control over the quality of those prints, and your reputation rides on it. I suggest you offer packages tailored around their uses of the files, if you really must licence the digi files, and size accordingly (which is not just to do with ppi/dpi), plus recommend a print supplier whose quality you have checked.

Joe
no.

Then PPI is the least of your worries. If you're helping your clients get the best from the photos then you can also make PPI recommendations once you know how they will be printed -- neither you nor your clients can enforce the PPI value as the printer can and will override that if the printer is half-a** competent. However if your clients are going to take the photos to X-Mart and print them themselves then you may not be dealing with a competent printer.

Joe

a

You just send the file.

Joe

Joe
Are you being purposefully stupid? 72ppi for a website is fine - 5000ppi is overkill and will give a thief ample opportunity to get a great free print from your work, not to mention be too stupidly big a filesize.

Then please explain the how the 9000 PPI photo I posted is the same size as the 72 PPI photo I posted and they both load in the same amount of time?

Joe

a

You just send the file.

Joe

Joe

You are confused. You think that changing the PPI value changes the photo file. It does not.

Joe

a
You just send the file.

Joe

Joe

You are confused. You think that changing the PPI value changes the photo file. It does not.

Joe
hi cutey

Most reactions

Back