Exporting from Lightroom question

Jade16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Should the PPI be set to 300 when exporting? The default was 240 and then I realized I should probably switch it to 300. Also, for stylistic reasons, I crop many of my images...is there anything I need to be careful about when doing so (adjusting settings, etc?)?

The PPI should be set to anything and everything and nothing and it simply doesn't matter. Set it to 300 PPI and export an image. Then set it to 10 PPI and export the same image. Then set it to 1000 PPI and export the same image. All three exported images will be identical.

PPI is "pixels per inch." It is a meaningless figure until the inch is specified. The inch that gives PPI meaning comes into play when you print the photo. Up until that point PPI can be changed to whatever you want without effecting the image in any way.

Joe

Should the PPI be set to 300 when exporting? The default was 240 and then I realized I should probably switch it to 300. Also, for stylistic reasons, I crop many of my images...is there anything I need to be careful about when doing so (adjusting settings, etc?)?

even for professional photography??

You're assuming the PPI value has an effect on your photo. It does not. It only has an effect when you print the photo. Up to the point when you print the photo PPI can be changed to whatever you want without altering the photo by a single pixel.

Joe

Right..But for one who sells digital files - I assume that 300 PPI is always the safest bet.

Please correct me if I am mistaken...

Someone who sells files for printing will know the answer to this question, that's why you got the answers
you did, 'cause everyone is assuming you're looking at them only on the screen. You can change PPI value
as many times as you like, it's irrelevant at this stage unless you're printing it.

Right..But for one who sells digital files - I assume that 300 PPI is always the safest bet.

You're still assuming that the PPI value means something -- that it effects your photo. It does not.

Two photos:

300ppi.jpg

1000ppi.jpg

You can download both photos and check. The top one is 300 PPI and the bottom one is 1000 PPI. Do you see the difference?

The first one will make a print that is 1 x 1.3 inches in size. The second one will make a print that is .3 x .4 inches in size. Either one can be changed into the PPI of the other one or something else with no effect to the image.

Joe

It depends on what your customer is going to with the files. (Whether these are going to be printed or posted on the internet.)

As a side note; why are you selling digital files? Many of the pros on this forum would advocate maintaining more control over your photographs.

It depends on what your customer is going to with the files. (Whether these are going to be printed or posted on the internet.) [/QUOTE said:
Let's say person #1 wants them printed. And let's say person #2 wants them uploaded to social media. what would you do for each?

It depends on what your customer is going to with the files. (Whether these are going to be printed or posted on the internet.) [/QUOTE said:
Let's say person #1 wants them printed. And let's say person #2 wants them uploaded to social media. what would you do for each?

PPI will have no effect when uploading to social media -- set it to zero and it's meaningless, set it to 10000 and it's meaningless. People who make prints understand PPI and will change it as required by their print process and ignore whatever you had set.

Joe

Irrelevant dude, IRRELEVANT. :)
Let the person printing it adjust it to HIS needs.
You just send the file.

Lets say you sell an uncropped photo digital file you made using a Nikon D5200 that has pixel dimensions (image resolution) of 6000 x 4000 pixels.
You set the print resolution value, the PPI of the photo, to 300.

Your customer wants to get an 8 x 12 print made of that 6000 x 400 pixel photo.
Here is the math: 6000 pixels divided by 12 inches = 500 pixles per inch - NOT 300 PPI
So the print lab, or your customer, is going to have to change the 300 PPI to 500 PPI to make the print an 8x12.
Note that 6000 px / 300 ppi = 20 inches

for stylistic reasons, I crop many of my images...is there anything I need to be careful about when doing so (adjusting settings, etc?)?
Absolutely! If a client wants to make prints.
And note that if you're not knowledgeable about this stuff about PPI and print resolution, don't expect the average retail customer to understand it either.

That same customer wants an 8x10 of that 6000 x 4000 px photo because 8x10 frames are more readily available.
8x10 is a 5:4 aspect ratio, almost a square. 6000 x 4000 pixels is a 3:2 aspect ratio a distinct rectangle.
The 6000 x 4000 pixel photo will have to be cropped to 5000 x 4000 pixels to be printed as an 8x10.
Here is the math for that: 3:2 aspect ratio - 3 /2, or 12 / 8 , or 6000 / 4000 = 1.5
5 / 4, or 5000 x 4000, or 10 / 8 = 1.25
Put another way the long side of the photo is 1.5x longer than the short side.
10 / 8 (or 5000/ 4000) = 1.25
S0, 4000 px times 1.25 = 5000 pixels

The long side of an 8x10 is only 1.25 times longer than the short side which is why some has to be cropped away from the long side of any 3:2 aspect ratio photo to be printed as a 5:4 aspect ratio print.

Last edited:
thank you!!

Depends what you are licensing those files for. If it's for print, then yes, 300ppi, if for the newspapers then 300ppi but reduce file size by image quality and length of longest side, if for a website then 72ppi. It's horses for course, so tell us what your horse is and we'll suggest how to tack it up!

Most reactions

Back