Exposure Meter In Viewfinder

Auto ISO in manual exposure mode is IMHO,the greatest advance in photography in the last 30 years. So freeing, so productive, especially now that we have such amazing sensors. 10, 15 years ago auto ISO was a pipe dream... but with today's modern High ISO capability and ISO invariant sensors, it is a workable solution especially in rapidly changing lighting conditions.

Last edited:
You don't say if you wear glasses, but I can't use the viewfinder with my glasses on. I've set the diopter correction really far to one side so the viewfinder is in focus without my glasses. With glasses, my eye is forced too far away to get the full frame of the finder.

It's a bit of a pain to remove them to use the camera, and put them back on so I can check the LCD if I need to, but I can't afford lasik! :)

On that note about the diopter correction, a friend tried to borrow my camera and told me it was broken, blurry viewfinder. I mighta kinda neglected to center the viewfinder correction before he took the camera.

My mistake, I can set it to auto in manual.
Yup

And if you ever feel like you need to fiddle with it, you can set it to a range of values, and still automatic.

My camera just stays in Auto ISO. If the value ever goes so high that it is adversely affecting the image quality, you can adjust the exposure to bring it back to where you are comfortable with it by only limiting the range.

If you can't get a good exposure by adjusting the aperture and shutter speed, then you probably should be adding light.

Last edited:
You don't say if you wear glasses, but I can't use the viewfinder with my glasses on. I've set the diopter correction really far to one side so the viewfinder is in focus without my glasses. With glasses, my eye is forced too far away to get the full frame of the finder.

It's a bit of a pain to remove [your glasses] to use the camera, and put them back on so I can check the LCD if I need to, but I can't afford lasik! .
With me, I wear glasses to keep the wind off my dry eye, and removing them will usually cause discomfort in my eye. So I leave them on all day. Besides, if I remove my glasses, I have to find a place to put them, which adds another layer of hassle.

Yeah, I wear glasses too, with progressive lens. I can still see the exposure meter under most conditions, just not in bright sunshine.

I have the D5600 and wear progressives also. You are not alone experiencing this issue. The exposure meter is fairly dim and can be difficult to see, especially on a bright day when you have light leaking around your glasses. I haven't found a good answer yet either. I often use auto ISO in manual mode but there are times I want to over or under expose a bit. Then it can be a pain. Otherwise I like the camera. Good luck.

It's a bit of a pain to remove [your glasses] to use the camera, and put them back on so I can check the LCD if I need to, but I can't afford lasik! .
With me, I wear glasses to keep the wind off my dry eye, and removing them will usually cause discomfort in my eye. So I leave them on all day. Besides, if I remove my glasses, I have to find a place to put them, which adds another layer of hassle.

Heh. I take off my glasses when I shoot my 77D. The problem isn't a matter of how strong my prescription is, it's weak as heck, it's just that with the glasses on I can't get a full view of the inside of the view finder, the glasses push it too far away.

Today I met up with a guy to buy a teleconverter, he brought his 5DSR which uses a whole different scale of viewfinder, much larger. I was able to use his 5DSR's viewfinder with my glasses on no problem. Now, I'm not about to drop $4000 on a camera just for a better viewfinder, before considering how many lenses I'd need on top of that, but it was definitely food for thought as far as usability while wearing my glasses is concerned.

Side note, I was surprised that he had no strap of any kind on that camera. He seemed to know his business, and obviously that's a personal choice, but it seemed surprisingly risky to have no strap.

^^^ That viewfinder difference is mostly crop-frame vs full-frame.

Is there a brightness adjustment for the viewfinder where you can increase it when you're outside?
If there is, I haven't found it. The LED screen can be darkened/lightened.

my Fuji has the option to adjust EVF brightness but nit sure how that would work on an optical vf.

crazy suggestion but have you tried wearing a baseball cap? It would shield the viewfinder from some of the strongest light...

I thought maybe you had the same adjustments with your camera. My Sony RX100iv allows brightness and color changes to the viewfinder as well as the LED screen.

The Sony is an electronic viewfinder, not optical; basically a tiny, very high resolution TV screen. most of the viewfinder image in the dSLRs from Nikon and Canon are through-the-lens optical images, the same as film SLRs throughout SLR history. Compact cameras are not reflex cameras, so the viewfinder is either completely separate optics from the imaging system, or an electronic representation of what the sensor sees.

There are no adjustment for the electronic displays in the Nikon cameras, but I've noticed that the electronic elements in my D7200 viewfinder self-adjust according to the brightness of the scene in the viewfinder. I can see the meter with the lens cap on, and it's much dimmer than when viewing the room with the cap off. I have no problem seeing the metering display in full sunlight, as long as I'm not wearing my glasses, so my eye is all the way up to the viewfinder.

Have you tried an eyecup? Nikon DK-25 for your D5600.

Most viewfinder issues are from light entering the eyepiece, an eyecup can help seal off stray light.

Have you tried an eyecup? Nikon DK-25 for your D5600.

Most viewfinder issues are from light entering the eyepiece, an eyecup can help seal off stray light.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion too. I just ordered a two piece set, one is rectangular, the other is larger oval shaped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back