Exposure settings

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When i shoot on manual mode, i frequently get the exposure wrong and have to correct it. To those of you experienced in photography, do you have to use trial and error some of the time or can you get it how you want it straight off?
Cheers

Use your meter. It still works, even when the camera is in Manual.

use trial and error long enough and you get used to it, then it becomes trial and success

There are several ways to get correct exposure in manual mode. Read up on the topic of metering.

use trial and error long enough and you get used to it, then it becomes trial and success

Or learn how to use the meter and why it works the way it does, and you'll have instant success.

It's not tough.

manual is like driving a car... lot's of little adjustments all the time... unless your subject / light isn't changing much. then you just set it and forget it (product photography etc..). If you are shooting fast paced stuff where the lighting and composition is changing a lot then there is a point where aperture priority becomes my go to mode. good luck

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the replies, especially KmH very useful link. Thank you

It gets easier the more you practice.. I use the meter as a starting point and then adjust my exposure after looking at the histogram and picture.

As has been said, it can be learned, but if you are taking grab shots, there isn't anything wrong with aperture priority, or shutter priority. There's no shame in auto mode.....

Understanding Exposure is an excellent book and has an entire chapter on metering. Even includes a few 'tricks' to help you meter correctly in odd situations. Scott Kelby's 3 part trilogy is excellent as well. The 4th book in that series is due out next month. You can get on amazon or your local brick and mortar store.

Shoot in Aperture priority...let the camera do it for you.
Shooting Manual for inexperienced photographers is an exercise in frustration. The meter will be off most of the time....bright scenes require positive compensation dark scenes require negative compensation. Your camera wants to make everything middle gray.

Using Aperture priority your camera will (for the most part) make these corrections for you.

Shooting Manual for inexperienced photographers is an exercise in frustration. The meter will be off most of the time....bright scenes require positive compensation dark scenes require negative compensation. Your camera wants to make everything middle gray.

Using Aperture priority your camera will (for the most part) make these corrections for you.

Huh? What 'correction' does the camera make?

How does the meter function differently when in Aperture priority? It will still set the shutter to the same speed as you would if you were in Manual.

Huh? What 'correction' does the camera make?

How does the meter function differently when in Aperture priority? It will still set the shutter to the same speed as you would if you were in Manual.

In Matrix or Evaluative metering:
Have you ever shot in Aperture or Shutter priority...that is what they do.
You set the Shutter the camera sets the aperture or you set the Aperture the camera sets the shutter.....after making adjustments for the incorrectness of the meter.
To make it work even better have your camera on auto ISO.....the exposure stays right in the pocket for almost all situations...this is your equipment getting out of your way so you can concentrate on the actual photos and/or interfacing with your clients.

In Matrix or Evaluative metering:

Nikon doesn't have Evaluative. They call it Matrix.

Have you ever shot in Aperture or Shutter priority...

Yes.... and......the shutter speed is still the same.

And I can meter with Matrix in either Shutter priority, Aperture priority or Manual.

The shutter speed is still the same, whether the camera sets it or I do.

Unless you are metering in Matrix/Evaluative when shooting Aperture preferred and metering in some other method when shooting Manual, then yes, you may get a different reading. But compare apples to apples.

Most reactions

Back