Extensions for Macro

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by smoke665, Feb 13, 2018.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    @Derrel, I've looked at that option also. Just somehow seems wrong, like going in the back door and backing out of the front door. LOL I already have some close up filters that provide magnification without a substantial degradation in image.

2. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    That's my most commonly used technique as I usually have both long & short lenses with me.
    I find Coupling lenses for extreme macro to be a great resource on this technique & the rest of Johan's site explains the other options pretty well too.

Macro does get very tricky at higher magnifications whatever technique you use, even the tiniest movements become critical.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    YES--the high-grade, two-element "achromat" type close-up filters, also called close-up lenses, can work wonderfully! Canon makes the 250D and the 500D models, and Nikon made the 5-T (52mm threaded) and the 6-T (62mm threaded). These are NOT THE CHEAPIE sets of three, thin, plus-diopter filters that screw onto the front of a lens, but THICK, heavy, two-element, front-thread-mounting close up "LENSES"....these are a VERY viable option. The achromatic lenses remove/eliminate chromatic aberration...it's a pairing of two different glass types, like crown glass and flint glass...and they can work absolutely spectacularly on some lenses, including the older Nikkor zoom lenses that were designed, specifically, to use the 6-T lens, and the lens's built-in macro-range settings in the orange-painted range; these Nikon manual focus zoom lenses were designed with one, specific, Nikon-made, two-element close-up lens pair (ie, the 5-T and then later, the 6-T) as part of the overall lens designs. The Nikkor 100-300 f/5.6 Ai-S and the 6-T mounted on the front of that lens (in reverse) produces flat-field, extraordinarily crisp macro images of a level that is fully professional in quality (See Bjorn Rorseltt's Nikkor Lens Evaluations Page). I was FLOORED with the 100-300/5.6 conventionally mounted to camera + 6-T Reverse-mounted on lens front performance on shots of dollar bills and stamps,etc..

The Canon 500D is another one, 2-element achromatic close-up lens that I have kicking around...mine is in 77mm thread, and it works quite well! The 500D is stronger than the Canon 250D.

Raynox likely also has a high-grade, two-elelement close-up lens available as well.

I think even inexpensive plus-diopter filters might be amply good on 1.5x APS-C cameras...I do not have any of those older sets around any more to try out, but I think the old problem, of weak corner performance from the plus-diopter filters would be moot on a 1.5x crop-frame body, since the corners would not even be seen by the sensor!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Reversing a single lens is another way to get ├╝ber-close. The shorter the focal length, the closer you can get. I usually use an old botched-Ai-conversion 28/2.8 Nikkor reversed on my PB6 bellows. I can easily get 2x to 7x magnification. I once bought a special step-down ring and tried my Tokina 17/3.5 reversed. Although I had some vignetting due to the ring, I managed 15x.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have a set of inexpensive ones that I played with a couple years ago, till the ADDHD kicked in and I moved on to something else. As I recall they weren't that bad, however I've become more critical on image quality since then. Might be a good time to pull them out and try them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pez

pez Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I went through a phase of using some vintage Pentax tubes on various lenses up to 70mm, with mixed results. The Cosina 55mm f1.2, for one, was a spectacular tool for the manual tubes, as was my Helios 44 58mm. The tubes made for Lensbaby lenses did an amazing job on my Sweet 35 lens.