External flash ahh

hollisterguyo7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive got a canon rebel xti with tamron 18-200 lense. I been using natural lighting for a while now an looking to get an external flash local photography store said the canon 430 would be just fine. Never shot with one or used one an dont know where to begin after i buy it. Of course insert batteries then put it on and turn it on. what about settings... I generally shoot in av or M. do i just change the settings on the camera or on the flash itself... like i said never used one an not sure where to begin... lol anything help would be awesome;)

I shoot nikon and I don't know anything about canon flashes but externally flashes are awesome. If I want to use my flash as a main light, usually I'll lower the iso by two stop from the natural light reading and bouce it off the ceiling. I'll adjust the flash after I check the histogram on the camera.

I haven' shot with a 430 but have a 580 so it is a similar flash.

You have a several modes you can set on your flash. You will absolutely have to read the manual to get much good out of your flash because it has a wide variety of settings and possibilities. Which is a good thing.

For example you set it so that the camera controls the flash. You can can also shoot in manual mode and control the flash power from full down to 1/64 power. You can also use the 430 off camera as a slave unit.

Trust me, read the manual and play with it. You spent the money and got a very good flash so you have to put it to work.

For what its worth, I always use the controls on the flash to adjust settings. I never use the controls via camera body. The 430 is a great flash with lots of "bells and whistles". 90% of the time I use my 580, I use ETTL rather than manual. If bouncing flash, I just dial in some + flash exposure compensation...usually 2/3 to 1 full stop seems to work great for me. The other 10% of the time I use it on a stand with an umbrella in manual mode. I don't own a handheld meter, so its trial and error until I get my settings right, but I am never in hurry....thus no handheld meter. LOL

montana you totally lost me...lol guess it will sink in once i get the flash this week haha

Basically, to words of your original post, I put batteries in it and go. LOL I usually let the camera and flash figure it out themselves. If they cannot get it right, I supply some input of my own. There.....LOL

oh Samanax ... where have you been? Have not seen you post for awhile.

Ive got a canon rebel xti with tamron 18-200 lense. I been using natural lighting for a while now an looking to get an external flash local photography store said the canon 430 would be just fine. Never shot with one or used one an dont know where to begin after i buy it. Of course insert batteries then put it on and turn it on. what about settings... I generally shoot in av or M. do i just change the settings on the camera or on the flash itself... like i said never used one an not sure where to begin... lol anything help would be awesome;)
Do Canon speedlights come with a users manual? A users manual is always a good source for understanding settings and in general figuring out how to use a piece of gear. :thumbup:

Do Canon speedlights come with a users manual? A users manual is always a good source for understanding settings and in general figuring out how to use a piece of gear. :thumbup:
Yes, Canon Speedlights do come with user manuals ;). It'll get you started but you'll have to go elsewhere for more in-depth flash techniques.

Most reactions

Back