External Flash Units- Noob question

TBAM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an old Pentax *Ist D with an old Sigma external flash unit with difuser.

The Pentax is having a few troubles (using the on-board flash tends to run the battery dry in several shots, and the auto-focus sounds a bit grindy) and my wife purchased a new Olympus E-420 for me.

I preferred using the external flash unit previously on manual only, anyways.

Is there any way to use my old Sigma flash unit on my new Olympus?

I understand TTL and all that won't work, but will it still set the flash unit off to flash on the press of the shutter (as the main electrical point on the hot shoe and flash connects) if it's in manual mode?

It may sound like a stupid question and a bit cheap, but if I have a half-way decent flash lying around not being used and it can be, then why not?

dont put it on the camera. use a wired slave... in the event that there is a wattage difference, the flash could fry your camera, but using a wired slave will prevent this.. something like the nikon sc-28

dont put it on the camera. use a wired slave... in the event that there is a wattage difference, the flash could fry your camera, but using a wired slave will prevent this.. something like the nikon sc-28

Really? Because in Nikon's manuals it says don't run anything higher than 250v to the sync port. So you could still fry it.

It is possible to use a higher voltage flash as long as you use one of these or use it off camera without it being connected directly to the camera. This can be used for a flash up to 400 volts and I'm sure your Sigma isn't over that, but I say check anyways :)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-HT-SHOE-SAFE-SYNC/dp/B0007P7880/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223644083&sr=8-2[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wein-SSHSHS-Safe-Sync-Shoe-W990560/dp/B00009UU18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223644083&sr=8-1[/ame]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back