External Flash

DARPatriot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased a Nikon D5300 in a kit form that came with a bunch of accessories. One of them is a Ultimaxx flash. Model # UM-DSF100. Is this compatible with my camera? I am very new at this. Thank you.

It is, but only in a fully manual mode. This is a very basic model, with, I suspect a very low output. I can't find a guide number for it, but it's not going to be terribly useful. Better than nothing, perhaps, but not a lot. I would strongly recommend spend a little bit more money and getting a unit like the Godox TT600 or similar which has much greater capability and feature-set.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
there was a reason it was free...

It's a very rudimentary flash that only has one power output and requires you estimate/measure your distance to the subject, then adjust your aperture to alter the output.

Your popup flash would be much better to use over this; it can work in a fully auto mode as well as manually adjusted power modes.

However, if you can master this flash, youll be well on your way to understanding exposure and controlling your settings.

Looking at the scale on the back the guide number for the Ultimaxx flash Model # UM-DSF100 is 50 with ISO 100 at 10 feet or @15 in meters. That is considered a low power speed light and as tirediron mentioned, is a completely manual flash although it does have Slave modes which may be handy as an auxiliary flash, the recycle time will be poor however.

You may want to consider a dedicated Nikon speed light that will work in TTL and FP mode for high speed flash. Many brands are available and you are not required to buy a 'Nikon' branded unit, Godox offer serval compatible flashes.

I just purchased a Nikon D5300 in a kit form that came with a bunch of accessories. One of them is a Ultimaxx flash. Model # UM-DSF100. Is this compatible with my camera? I am very new at this. Thank you.
Being "compatible" means different things.

If you mean will it flash, then yes, it will flash.

However, if you are wanting the automatic iTTL capability, then no, it won't do that.

As @Braineack wrote; "there was a reason it was free".

Don't feel bad, just use it for whatever flash lessons you are learning now, and enjoy your new skills.

Thank you all for the replies. I will take note of the information shared. Shalom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back