What's new

Extra long panorama 500 x 2660

clupica

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Switzerland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The full-sized tif version of the file is 5560 x 31'000 pixels. Here I have embedded an 800 pixel wide version and a link to a 2660 pixel wide version.

Here is an extra-long linear-panorama. While the pano is 2660 pixels wide, it is best to view it in a 600 - 800 pixel wide window and scroll it.

http://www.cwlupica.com/PhotoForum/LeLanderon_long_rev4.1_web_h500.jpg

I know it it is better to embedd the image but it distorts the browser so much that I think it's better to open it in its own window. The image is about 700kb.

Here is a small embedded version.
LeLanderon_long_rev4.1_web_w800.jpg


The image is a rare linear panorama and is composed of 40-60 seperate 10mp photos. Each building, street, and sky segment was constructed from at least 3 seperate images. Most of the work was done by "hand". Each photo had to be manually "transformed" in PhotoShop to mesh with the adjacent pieces. The photos for each building were taken directly in front of the building. Close study of a segment will give the feeling that you are standing directly in front of that building.

The full seguence of photos was taken by standing in front of a building, taking a sequence of 3 pictures, one up, one straight on, and one down. I then moved to the right, and took another set of pictures. For the smaller buildings, there is one set along the left edge, one set in the middle, and one set on the right edge; which, in most cases, is the left edge of the next building. The larger buildings may have one or more additional sets of images.

This technique encounters a tremendous amount of difficulty in overcoming the parallax inherent in trying to use successive, parallel images. Believe when I say that hundreds of hoursof work went into creating this panorama. And this is actually, only 2/3 of the complete sequence.

Feedback and questions welcome.
Charlie
 
Last edited:
Wow that is long, it just fits nicely on my 24 inch iMac, very beautiful picture indeed!
 
WOW!!! i believe you about the amount of work to put this together. i would regularily put together sequences of shots (manually on PS as well) for work (site analysis) and i usually only had 3-5 shots and the requirements of "fitting" it together werent very strict.
bit THIS! WOW!!!
 
Thanks all,

As an interesting side-note: the sequence of pictures were taken on 3 different days; spanning 3 weeks in September of last year. The two bicyclists were taken on the same day, but an hour apart. The woman hanging out the window was taken a week or so later. The group entering the restaurant (escarbot) was a week earlier and the last group, don't remember; but it is the earliest group. In the full size image, you can see my reflection in at least 2 windows.

In a way, this image helped me get over my distaste for manipulation; nothing is real. The parallax distortions are so great that the width and height of the buildings had to be guessed, then stretched to what seemed "right". But, some of them really are that skinny; about 3 meters (10 feet) wide and 4 stories tall.

I wonder if an architectural lens would make this easier?

Thanks
Charlie
 
Last edited:
Believe when I say that hundreds of hoursof work went into creating this panorama. And this is actually, only 2/3 of the complete sequence.
As an interesting side-note: the sequence of pictures were taken on 3 different days; spanning 3 weeks in September of last year.
That's an insane amount of work for a single image. Well worth it, though: the end result is insanely beautiful.
 
One of the most impressive pieces of digital photography I've seen.

Just fantastic!
 
That's an insane amount of work for a single image. Well worth it, though: the end result is insanely beautiful.

Thanks all. And yes that is an insane amount of time to invest. But the full story is that I have started a business as a fine-art photographer and this is the cornerstone of the business. I am offering full-size, signed, and numbered digital c-prints. The full size (according to PhotosHop) is about 70cm x 1.35cm (2.5' x 4'), and dose not include the tree sequence.

The copy I have on public-display is a digital c-print (done with a 3 color laser on archival photographic paper). Many consider this to be the only true museum-quality archival print. The mat and photo backing are acid free and the glass is conservation glass. Want to buy one? Fully framed with shipping world-wide would cost about 4-5k depending on shipping costs.

If I ever sell one, I'll let you know.
Charlie
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom