Extreme High Key Experiment

To me it just looks overexposed.

I have to agree with you. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with extreme high key, but from looking at this shot I am not a fan of the style. The highlights are very lacking in any detail, and I personally like a lot of detail in a photograph. Her face has some detail, but there are a lot of areas in the photo where the lack of detail are distracting. Her arms, shoulders and parts of her head really get lost in the harsh light, and even her eyebrows and other facial details are lost in the blown out areas of the portrait.

Granted that I'm not familiar with shooting high key shots because I'm not a fan of them, but I think this shot could have been done better by relying more on the lighting to get that high key light, whereas in this shot it looks like either the aperture was too wide open or shutter too slow, or perhaps both resulting in an over exposed shot. Just not enough detail to me.

Thanks for the comments. It's a little bit like saying you don't like b&w photography because there isn't enough color. ;)

To me it just looks overexposed.

I have to agree with you. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with extreme high key, but from looking at this shot I am not a fan of the style. The highlights are very lacking in any detail, and I personally like a lot of detail in a photograph. Her face has some detail, but there are a lot of areas in the photo where the lack of detail are distracting. Her arms, shoulders and parts of her head really get lost in the harsh light, and even her eyebrows and other facial details are lost in the blown out areas of the portrait.

Granted that I'm not familiar with shooting high key shots because I'm not a fan of them, but I think this shot could have been done better by relying more on the lighting to get that high key light, whereas in this shot it looks like either the aperture was too wide open or shutter too slow, or perhaps both resulting in an over exposed shot. Just not enough detail to me.

Thanks for the comments. It's a little bit like saying you don't like b&w photography because there isn't enough color. ;)

Ok dude, whatever. You're welcome for the time I took out of my day to give you feedback.

And for the record, if a black and white is done poorly I wouldn't like it either. Disregarding my opinion is rude. But whatever; if you don't think you need improvement then that's your thing. I wont be giving you feedback because clearly you don't need it or want it unless it's positive. :taped sh:

Last edited:

Ok dude, whatever. You're welcome for the time I took out of my day to give you feedback.

And for the record, if a black and white is done poorly I wouldn't like it either. Disregarding my opinion is rude. But whatever; if you don't think you need improvement then that's your thing. I wont be giving you feedback because clearly you don't need it or want it unless it's positive. :taped sh:

Hey, I'm very sorry if I offended you - it certainly was not my intention. I appreciate and value constructive criticism and that's why I posted in the first place. Read through this post, or any of my posts, and you'll see I'm very receptive to constructive comments. I just thought it was a little odd that you criticized it for the very thing it was intended to be. Not a big deal - at least to me. Again, sorry if I came across as ungrateful and I hope you reconsider posting feedback in the future. :cheers:

Hey, I'm very sorry if I offended you - it certainly was not my intention. I appreciate and value constructive criticism and that's why I posted in the first place. Read through this post, or any of my posts, and you'll see I'm very receptive to constructive comments. I just thought it was a little odd that you criticized it for the very thing it was intended to be. Not a big deal - at least to me. Again, sorry if I came across as ungrateful and I hope you reconsider posting feedback in the future. :cheers:

My critique was constructive as I gave reasons as to why I thought it could be done better and how I thought it could be done better. I don't see how the points I made were not constructive. Saying something like "this sucks, everything is all blown out" would have been non-constructive, but I actually made valid points as to why I didn't like it and felt that the lack of detail was a result of overexposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back