Eye Photography - How to take a sharp 2:1 MAGNIFICATION Picture of your Iris

Jens Heidler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
How to capture images of your iris with incredible details using a 1:1 magnification lens together with the raynox DCR-250 adapter.
In this video I will share all my tips and tricks how to take the best image possible using a small torch, macro lens and a tripod. Fixing the position of the head got the greatest impact on the image quality, because it allows us to use a long shutter speed at low ISO without the need of taking a flash. Have you tried to take an image of your eye?
I am really excited to see your pictures ;)

Very nice work there, Jens! I was excited and in a hurry to try the new lens out at the time (Sigma 105 mm 1: 2.8 DG Macro HSM) and had no clue how hard it was going to be to get a 'good' pic of the eye, handheld. Man, I was wore out by the time I finally finished. I'll definitely use a tripod the next attempt. No DCR-250 adapter, though and hopefully all comes out better.
1st macro pic.JPG

What aperture did you use? Yeah it is pretty hard, especially using such a small field of depth

What aperture did you use? Yeah it is pretty hard, especially using such a small field of depth

My computer is crazy and not showing it in "Details". I'm not sure why it does that but aside from that, knowing myself I doubt I went over f/8 but I could be wrong. A smaller aper wouldn't hurt I don't think but I did try to take it without a flash so as not to blind myself and allow for a smaller aper and faster shutter as well. Should I approach it differently? Help me out here, please.

Most reactions

Back