Eyefi card question

NickA said:
Yes. It will actually create it's own ad hoc network.

Speed isn't bad for me when I have it connected to the iPad, but I'm transferring jpegs. Maybe about 10-20 seconds for a 5-6 MB file. The EyeFi software is not the most stable in the world either. Sometimes if I exit the app and restart it, it will transfer twice as fast.

Is it possible to have my card send just a small jpeg over the network and keep the raw file on the card for download later via USB cable or card reader?

I don't think so, but that would be awesome if it could. I think anything it writes to the card it tries to send.

I'm afraid that that's incorrect. Please see my responses above.

Is it possible to have my card send just a small jpeg over the network and keep the raw file on the card for download later via USB cable or card reader?

I don't think so, but that would be awesome if it could. I think anything it writes to the card it tries to send.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that. It's a great product and I use it a lot. Something like this feature should be highlighted in the small user guide that comes packaged with the card.

They are slow, but not as bad as one would expect! Oh, for anyone with a wifi card. Can it be used on a ad-hoc network?

Yes. It will actually create it's own ad hoc network.

Speed isn't bad for me when I have it connected to the iPad, but I'm transferring jpegs. Maybe about 10-20 seconds for a 5-6 MB file. The EyeFi software is not the most stable in the world either. Sometimes if I exit the app and restart it, it will transfer twice as fast.

The Pro X2 card can connect to an ad-hoc network. Correct. But Eye-Fi Direct is an infrastructure network, so it's just a normal Wi-Fi network, and any mobile device, or a computer, can connect to the card, as "normal" Wi-Fi.

Direct Mode FAQ | Eye-Fi Support

I think that our software can be improved. Totally agree. But if just by restarting it, you get faster speeds - that's a bug. Please contact our support, and they'll ask you for log files, and we may be able to fix something, with your help. I've never heard of that, on any platform.

Our speed is 12mbps, so a 5-6MB file should NOT take 10-20 seconds. If your Wi-Fi is solid (and Wi-Fi, at times, is pure voodoo magic) -- a 5-6 MB file should take about 2 seconds, not 10-20.

Thx.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that. It's a great product and I use it a lot. Something like this feature should be highlighted in the small user guide that comes packaged with the card.

Thx. We try to keep the QuickStart Guide to just the barebones essentials. Remember -- you guys are super technical. This product is actually not made for you :) It's made for the Wal-Mart and Target Mom :) That's why we sell there.

For you guys -- we have our forums, our support site, etc... There are tons of articles and we've just revamped our support site, so you should check it out.

If you just go through every pane in the Eye-Fi Center software, you'll see all of our features.

Thx --

Ziv.

Do you know the usual delay time for a small jpeg? A friend showed me his and it was still 4-6 seconds. Totally unacceptable for a shoot. Maybe his config was wrong. If its "instantaneous" you may have solved my dilemma for the D700 camera to ipad on shoots.

Thx. We try to keep the QuickStart Guide to just the barebones essentials. Remember -- you guys are super technical. This product is actually not made for you :) It's made for the Wal-Mart and Target Mom :) That's why we sell there.

For you guys -- we have our forums, our support site, etc... There are tons of articles and we've just revamped our support site, so you should check it out.

If you just go through every pane in the Eye-Fi Center software, you'll see all of our features.

Thx --

Ziv.

The forums are a good resource for this product. And I see you've recently updated your iPad app, so I'll give that another go too.

Mine doesn't work most of the time, even 10 feet from the wireless router and with sending med size jpgs. I keep meaning to return it.

Do you know the usual delay time for a small jpeg? A friend showed me his and it was still 4-6 seconds. Totally unacceptable for a shoot. Maybe his config was wrong. If its "instantaneous" you may have solved my dilemma for the D700 camera to ipad on shoots.

The D700 is a type I CF camera, so we don't support that, at all. Feel free to google, and you'll see that it's possible, but it's ugly. You need to surgery a CF adapter to fit into your CF Type I slot, because all CF adapters are Type II.

Like I said -- Wi-Fi is voodoo magic. You may have your hand over the card door, and your hand, which is made of water -- will block most of the transmission. You may have other Wi-Fi noise, which will slow down the tranfers. You may be far from the router. Your router my be old, etc... But under the best conditions, our cards upload at a max speed of 12mbps, which is 1.5MBps.

I DO NOT believe that 1.5MBps is quick enough for a studio shoot, while shooting RAW. I DO believe that it's amazingly quick enough if you shoot RAW + JPG, and only upload the JPG, during a studio shoot.

BUT

The card does not upload, while it's writing. Then, when the write is done, the card resumes the upload. So if you're writing RAW + JPG, during the 2 seconds or so that the camera wrote the RAW + JPG files to the card, the card is paused from uploads. So it may seem slower, because the card isn't even uploading.

In my D300s, I have the RAW going to the CF slot, and the small JPG's going to the SD slot. So I have 0 delay :)

You should just get a D800. It's Eye-Fi Connected

Is the Eye-Fi card compatible with my camera? | Eye-Fi

:)

Mine doesn't work most of the time, even 10 feet from the wireless router and with sending med size jpgs. I keep meaning to return it.

Before you return it - you should call our Support line. We had 300,000,000 photos and videos upload from Eye-Fi Cards, last year :) These cards work.

But I have to admit -- our software needs to be improved. We're working on it.

Ok thanks for the reply and info about the D700

I would plug it into your computer(into the the USB card device) to make sure you are up to date on your firmware lil lady. As a precaution make sure your are connecting to the right network, it never hurts to be sure. For the record my Android app work nicely with the Eye Fi card 8).....Android FTW!!!

I would plug it into your computer(into the the USB card device) to make sure you are up to date on your firmware lil lady. As a precaution make sure your are connecting to the right network, it never hurts to be sure. For the record my Android app work nicely with the Eye Fi card 8).....Android FTW!!!

That's good advice.

If after the firmware update, the card works, in the reader, you may be having a problem with your camera, for example, turning the power off, to the card slot.

There are many variables. But if you guys don't feel shy calling Support -- I promise that you won't regret it.

Our products have to work with a matrix of:

cameras and them turning power off (and that's why we have the Eye-Fi Connected program, where today, 85% of cameras know about Eye-Fi)
firewalls
routers
ISP's
OS's
mobile OS's

It's an insanely large matrix.

Our Support team knows how to handle it all :)

Its all up to date, and my wireless works across the house for other devices, yet it only works literally 10 feet from the router. And that was once, I haven't been able to get it to work again.

I shouldn't have to mess with it that much, its not a inexpensive card. It actually didn't even fit right in the camera, it kept getting stuck and I had to google to find out its extremely common and I had to sand it down a smidge. I know this is your baby Gillat but it has a lot of issues, I'm surprised its even out for sale.

Have you called Support?

:)

They will run through a few things with you, like your camera, router channel, etc...

Most reactions

Back