F Mount Adapter

josh251

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
As I am about 9 months into photography with only my D3200 kit lens at the ready, I thought it would be a good idea to buy a Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 lens off ebay for $40. When it arrived in the mail, i realised it didn't fit my D3200. Solutions?

What does it fit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 147
If its not for Nikon F mount, you need to return it. Or resell, since you got it from eBay.

The other mounts (Canon EF, Pentax K) cannot be adapted to Nikon F.

And while you can adapt Nikon F lenses to Canon EF, they wont autofocus etc.

The other mounts (Canon EF, Pentax K) cannot be adapted to Nikon F.

Yes they can - check out www.srbfilm.co.uk who produce adaptors for using Canon FD, Minolta MD, Pentax K and Tamron lenses on a Nikon body. You will lose auto focus and possibly some metering ability though, plus there will be an extra layer of glass because the adaptors need to incorporate a lens to enable infinity focussing.

Yes they can - check out www.srbfilm.co.uk who produce adaptors for using Canon FD, Minolta MD, Pentax K and Tamron lenses on a Nikon body. You will lose auto focus and possibly some metering ability though, plus there will be an extra layer of glass because the adaptors need to incorporate a lens to enable infinity focussing.

And said 'extra layer of glass' will turn a fine lens into a useless paperweight.

Buy a lens with a Nikon mount, might be able to sell or return the Sigma.

For a $40 lens, it'll cost $10-15 just to send it back. It may not be worth it.

I would recommend that before purchasing any further lenses that you do some research about Nikon mount lenses as well as the lenses that will work on your camera. While Nikon has used the F-Mount since the beginning it has undergone some changes through the decades which means some camera's can use one lens, while another camera can not. The D3200 is one of Nikon's entry level bodies and therefore can only use certain more modern lenses.

In a nutshell here are the lenses that will work on your camera. Some of these lenses as explained below will work with limited functionality.

Nikon AF-S series lenses - These lenses will provide full AF (auto focus) capability as well as full matrix metering (exposure) These lenses are the newest lenses in Nikon's lineup. They include a silent wave focusing motor built within the lens so that the lens will auto focus more quickly as well as focus on camera's that do not have the older screw driven auto focus system such as your D3200.
Nikon AF series lenses - This was Nikon's first auto focus lens. As mentioned above, these lenses require a focusing motor within the camera body to drive a screw head on the lens mount for auto focus. These lenses do have some electronics for metering and distance information, and will work on your D3200 except you will have to focus manually.
Nikon Ai and Ai-S series lenses - These are manual focus only lenses from the late 70's through the 80's. These lenses have no electronic contacts like the modern lenses. They will mount to your camera and work, but not only will you have to manually focus, but you will not have any metering capabilities as well meaning you will have to shoot in full Manual mode and set your shutter speed and aperture settings yourself to get proper exposure.

I just looked at my Canon EF-mount Sigma 70-210 f/4~5.6, which appears to be the same lens you have. Your lens is most-assuredly NOT a Canon EF-mount lens...it has a mechanically-actuated diaphragm mechanism, and a small, button-lock A- setting to the side of f/22...so...I think it might be a Pentax K-variant mount.

An easy way to check is a rear lens cap...the proper mount will fit its rear lens cap perfectly.

I have an inexpensive, glass-element adapter for Pentax to Nikon F-mount...I payed under $20 for it...it's not very good. it hurts the image quality too much for my taste.

For a $40 lens, it'll cost $10-15 just to send it back. It may not be worth it.

It had no returns on it, what would be a reasonable re-sell price?

Looking at your image it's a bit dark to be sure but I agree with Derrel. More specifically it looks like a manual focus PKA mount.

To gauge the price to list it at try searching sold listing for that specific lens on e-bay. I'm afraid I suspect $40 was not much of a bargain, I've seen good condition manual zooms of that sort of range sell at £10.

I bought one of those lenses, with a working Canon Rebel XT film camera attached to the back of it at Goodwill for $29. If you could get $20 out of it you would probably be very,very fortunate. e-Bay is awash in older 35mm equipment, and demand is relatively low for older, third-party lenses of this type. At pawn shops and thrift shops, older film gear just does not bring much, and private party sales of this type of lens is a dismal prospect.

Most reactions

Back