f stop

solrac8126

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wonder if anyone has the same question i do.
Maybe you have the answer.

I have 3 lenses (check the signature) and i've never seen the "blades", no matter how high i go on the aperture and remove the lens, i always see the same "aperture"

Is this one of those "unlocked" or ""locked" things these days?

Besides the fact that plastic is cheaper than let's say some kind of metal, why the *** the aperture seems like is only "controled" by the camera and not the lens?

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Here is a pentax prime from 1980's, here you can see the blades, and of course is a manual aperture, but why i can't see it in my lenses?
Does the "L" series have blades?
Those where CHEAP lenses in that time, and they have the quality of an L lense on canon or the best on nikkon, they feel real, not like the plastic toy crap we found this days on cheap lenses...
The aperture is set to 4 and it goes to 2

_MG_8179.jpg

_MG_8176.jpg

What exactly are you saying my friend?

If you change the aperture on your camera, it doesn't change the aperture at all...so you won't notice it change...

It only closes when you take the shot, so that you can see the brightest scene possible.

Also, if you want to see the blades close...look into your lens, and push the DOF preview button on your camera (under the mount release on the left side)

L lenses DO have blades...though, they have many more blades, and they are rounded...

May just be a canon thing. Nikons aperture are still controlled by a little tab inside the lens barrel. When you remove the lens the aperture closes to what ever it's set at, or in the case of lenses without an aperture ring the aperture is closed to the minimum.

All lenses have aperture blades. I am not exactly sure what you are missing.

I think when you remove the lens the aperature is dropped back to it's smallest. The camera body controls the aperature, not the lens...so when you separate the lens from the body there's nothing controlling it anymore.

On my Sony lenses there's a little tab thing you can slide back and forth on the back side of the lens to mess with aperture if you want...you have to find this tab if you're interested in doing reverse lens macro stuff.

What exactly are you saying my friend?

If you change the aperture on your camera, it doesn't change the aperture at all...so you won't notice it change...

It only closes when you take the shot, so that you can see the brightest scene possible.

Also, if you want to see the blades close...look into your lens, and push the DOF preview button on your camera (under the mount release on the left side)

L lenses DO have blades...though, they have many more blades, and they are rounded...

ok the DOF button did the trick, but as Garbz said , maybe is just a canon thing they don't have some "mecanical aperture lever" or something like that

it only closes when the picture is being taken so it opens back again...

hehe :lmao:

thanx!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back