Facebook Photographers beware

I miss the "olden times too"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$Amolitor_wanted poster.jpg

Nowdays, with these new-fangled computer networks, info-mashion spreads so far and wide so fast that a feller's head spinz!

Gosh, now I am wondering if Facebook is gonna steal my Cartoon Derrel likeness, or my Cartoon A. Molitor likeness and mebbe use our'n likenesses in an advertisement for sarsaparilla or maybe clothes washin'-powders or laundry blueing!

I miss usenet where people turned public ridicule into an art form.

I miss usenet where people turned public ridicule into an art form.

Yes.. usenet was fun! Much ridicule today is definitely more on the Dumb and Dumber side... lol!

Heck.. I miss the early 80's... everything was CLI based.... and if you didn't know you way around Unix, you were stuck! Small user base then.. not like now! (of course, 300 baud sucked... even then)

Aaaaah the penguin, so happy I converted but waaaay too many flavors.

Uhhh.. the Penguin was early Linux (Torvald)... not Unix! lol! About 1996 or so.... and Unix hit around 72! lol!

Heck.. I miss the early 80's... everything was CLI based.... and if you didn't know you way around Unix, you were stuck! Small user base then.. not like now! (of course, 300 baud sucked... even then)

Aaaaah the penguin, so happy I converted but waaaay too many flavors.

Uhhh.. the Penguin was early Linux (Torvald)... not Unix! lol! About 1996 or so.... and Unix hit around 72! lol!

I still run, use, and support Slackware.

Praise Bob ...

I was talking bout the cli environment...just bull****ing lol ..damn I just graduated high school using Microsoft 3.1 in 95!!

I was talking bout the cli environment...just bull****ing lol ..damn I just graduated high school using Microsoft 3.1 in 95!!

95 was a good year.... I was running a little 486 I had built with the AMD 486-100, and it would run circles around the early pentiums. I remember standing in line at CompUSA for windows 95 when it came out... lol! Still shooting my Olympus OM4's... Kakaking all over Florida. Had a blast in 95... including my first divorce, which is what made the last half of 95 so dam good! lol!

In 95 I was just starting jr high and discovering my body.

At the end of the day, with all of the images posted to facebook, if they feel the need to use one or more of the relatively few, low-resolution images that I post there, I see that as a worthwhile trade for the use of their server-space, hosting services, etc. facebook doesn't get me a lot, but it does get me far more than it costs me.

HERE is the 2013 report on Internet Trends by noted analyst Mary Meeker. Check into it for some data on Internet trends, usage rates, hours of video uploaded per day, number of worldwide internet users (2.6 billion),net usage by country, and so on and so on. LOADS of data on the explosion of all sorts of things related to internet devices, smartphones, and so on. 2013 Internet Trends ? Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers

Facebook earlier this year reported that it has 1.06 billion monthly users. Facebook is the #3 player in the internet biz today...

Lew I saw that on ASMP's site and elsewhere; from what I understand it won't be Facebook making direct use of site users' names and photo(s), but would be Facebook making that info. available to third parties (apparently to provide to advertisers). It seems like it will go beyond users seeing what companies or businesses a Facebook friend 'Likes'. The new Terms were already supposed to go into effect but the FCC I think is investigating if the proposed Terms violate a 2011 agreement.

As someone (Charlie I think?) mentioned this type thing isn't just happening on Facebook. There seems to be an assumption on many sites that most users won't look at Terms & Conditions and have no idea what they've agreed to when they signed up. If you agreed to Terms that allow a website to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, etc. etc. your name, information and/or photos then unfortunately I don't know if it would be considered theft, you would have allowed it to happen.

I don't think it's good advice Andrew that you're giving telling people that they shouldn't care about their photos; why shouldn't people care about their photographs or anything else they created? (their intellectual property). If you think these kind of Terms are OK then maybe it would be OK for someone to take what you've written and pass it off as their own work, sell it, or do whatever they like with it - don't you value the time and effort you've put into your writings? Even if someone writes a blog that isn't published/making money or does photography as a hobby, isn't there still value in it?

People care about their physical property (car, house, phone, etc.); your photos are your property whether they exist in a physical printed form or online. I don't think using a service that's offered 'free' (with ads) should mean that in exchange for that a site should be able to take what belongs to the website's users.

Sorry, but you cannot blame something that has NOT YET HAPPENED on Facebook
And you know this... how?

It wouldn't be very threatening at all if they had to TELL you when they were profiting from your photos. The point is that they don't. So you can't even fight them about it, because you wouldn't know if it's happening.

That said, even though the threat is I think very real, the defense against it is also very simple. Just only upload low resolution images (like 600x400 sort of range) and they won't be worth much to anybody anyway who has a license for that version.

You still have to be AWARE of the issue to begin with in order to make simple logical decisions like that, though, making threads like this a good thing now and then.

95 was a good year.... I was running a little 486 I had built with the AMD 486-100, and it would run circles around the early pentiums. I remember standing in line at CompUSA for windows 95 when it came out... lol! Still shooting my Olympus OM4's... Kakaking all over Florida. Had a blast in 95... including my first divorce, which is what made the last half of 95 so dam good! lol!

Lol I had pentium 2 compaq pesario, with dial-up for a year until DSL came out ....aaah the memories.

Most reactions

Back