Fairly Cheap DSLR's

Scott7117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a quick question. I was considering saving up for a DSLR, maybe within the 400-500 dollar range.What are some good cameras? I like long exposure and low light photography, so maybe something with a decent sensor. All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've recently purchased the Nikon D40X in a kit with two cameras for only $800. I'm sure you could get a body online for around $500. I've had great results, but I'm a new comer as well so can't give you a professional opinion.

If you are willing to go used, a good way to start is to read reviews regarding DSLRs of last year or the year prior. More than likely, those models will be in your price range. Dont forget to budget in a very strong and stable tripod and remote release for those really long exposures.

I like the Canon 20D which should be doable in your budget.

Ok. Thanks for all the help.:)

Some digital cameras lose a lot of image quality during long exposures. I'm not sure if it's all of them or just some. For low light photography, you should look into something with less megapixels like a d70 or d40 as they will have a little less noise then their high megapixel counterparts. Both the Nikon d70 and d40 can be had for under $500 on ebay and elsewhere.

D70, body is about $300-350 used, used outfits with multiple lenses can be had for less then $500. The D70 is far more full featured then the D40 or D40x, which are fine cameras in their own right.

nikond70sthreeviewsrev1large.jpg

The D70 was the wedding photographers favourite for a long time!

One lens can cost more than the camera body. Whatever you get, pick a brand you'll want to stick with for awhile so you can use the lenses you've bought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back