TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
By fake I mean 'non-genuine'.

Anyone had any experience of these?

Always nice to have a couple of charged spare batteries in the bag when going on all day shoots. Amazon want around £35 for a standard Canon battery.

There are a lot of 'non-genuine' batteries on ebay for less than £10, has anyone had any experience of these?

Normally you get what you pay for, but these wouldn't be my 'main' battery, just a back up.

Opinions?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one Canon battery, and 4 eBay batteries. I have only had good luck with the eBay ones. Be sure to look at the mAh's. Also, Sterlingtek makes great off brand batteries.

+1 Sterlingtek.

So far working great, the charge is huge, no explosions, great price - what more could you ask for?

Mine haven't exploded either. Cameras are not that current hungry either. I doubt they'd explode in the camera, at the worst probably in the charger of if there's a short, in which case your camera has other issues and needed replacing anyway. :lol:

There is a difference between 'fake' batteries and 'off brand' batteries.

Fake batteries are trying to be something they are not. Usually they will carry the brand name (Canon, Nikon etc) and they may be a risk to explode etc.

Off brand batteries are just batteries that don't carry the fancy brand name or the high price tag. For the most part, they are a good option.

I have several camera batteries from Sterlingtek.com and they have been flawless for me. :thumbup:

I bought a spare battery for my K10D off of Amazon, it is an "off brand" The genuine pentax is around $45, this one was $13 INCLUDING shipping, so i figured i would take a chance. It has less milliamps than the pentax < 1500 vs. 1650 for the pentax > but if it gives me close to the same amount of shots, it is well worth it, and I'll probably be buying another just in case i get in a pinch, and will need 3 batteries, lol http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPJKDY

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fake batteries are usually counterfeit like when our store had to take all of the Duracells we had in stock off the shelf after Duracell announced that they had spotted counterfeit activity. These usually blow up or overheat badly. Off brand usually are normal batteries without a brand name. Just check the power and you should be fine.

I use off brand batteries and have not had a complaint. They are far cheaper then namebrand batteries, and give the same charge. The only name brand batteries I buy anymore are Sanyo Eneloops for my speedlights. These batteries actually hold a longer charged shelf life...so I know when I pick them up if I charged them 6 months ago, they'll still be charged.

Standard battery is rated at 720mAh.

Have seen a couple of 'off-brands' on ebay...

One at 800mAh and another at 2000mAh!

Is it worth going for these versions (more photos per charge?) or will it be bad for the camera?

2000 seems a lot more than 720!

That shouldn't harm the camera at all...it just means the battery has more power storage so it will last longer.

The voltage should be the same though.

Also, I recommend www.Sterlingtek.com for batteries.

Standard battery is rated at 720mAh.

Have seen a couple of 'off-brands' on ebay...

One at 800mAh and another at 2000mAh!

Is it worth going for these versions (more photos per charge?) or will it be bad for the camera?

2000 seems a lot more than 720!

The way it was explained to me, the mAh is the charge. Meaning the capacity of the battery. So more, just means that - more.
It's not bad for the camera, per se, but it does keep you shooting longer - so you may have to replace your shutter sooner.
J/K.

I just ordered a battery for my IBM laptop off of Ebay. The original is 4.4 Ah. Locally i could find a 5.3 Ah for about $150. On Ebay i got a 6.6 Ah for $70.
Gotta love that web.
Just make sure the voltage is the same.

Cool thanks for the info. I'll give them a go. It's only £9 for a pair so not too bad at all. :)

mah is kinda like how big your gas tank is. Won't hurt the camera...just lets you shoot longer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back