Fall family photo for C&C

HL45

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was shot late afternoon in natural light. The posing is natural, I didn't direct them in anyway so I'm not asking for critique in that area. I'm happy with the way it turned out after editing. Any comments on the strengths and/or weakness would be helpful.
Thanks,

Mitch

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
ƒ/4.0
45.0 mm
1/640
ISO 400
Shot on tripod

Howard_family_2014 by Mitch Wessels, on Flickr

I think it's a solid portrait. The only things that I might think about if I were trying this shot would be to perhaps choose a section of the field in the background where the grass that's sticking up above their heads is a little less obvious. I might also have them stand back a little more off the road, or even more on the road to make the picture look more intentional, I guess, if that makes sense? As it is, I see a field and a little strip of road. It might be more interesting to see more or less of the road, in my mind anyway (sometimes a scary place to be). Depending on what you are going for, maybe a tighter crop? Those are just the things that catch my eye. I'm still learning, so take it for what it's worth to you. Beautiful picture of a beautiful family.

the background blur looks [is] faked, and i do not like that.

otherwise i like it, and might try a square crop.

Thanks for the quick replies. I did go PS crazy on the blur. Tried to eliminate the distraction of the tall grass behind the subjects heads. Thanks for the input!

remove the blur and try to just clone them out using the tops of the others.

If you forgot your machete at home, look for a place where the background is less intrusive.

Second edit is so much better.

Second edit is a very good family portait. Light was very nice.

fa,ily2.jpg

Most reactions

Back