Family Headshots; CC?

beccaf91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So went to Georgia this week to take care of some "bizness" and along the way stopped to shoot a few more family members. I like the way the headshots turned out. I can see the right eye is a lil' fuzzy, and a little of her hair is out of frame (I was standing on the back of a park bench for this angle so I was trying to maintain my balance and shoot). When I was checking the shots, I didn't notice the boy's ears were out of focus, now it's bugging me. But overall, I think the lighting was ok, no stark shadows and the subject was brighter than the background. I feel like I hit some points and I'm aware of what I missed, (I think). CC?

cs (2 of 3)-2.jpg
alanna (7 of 11).jpg
alanna (5 of 11).jpg
alanna (8 of 11).jpg

I sometimes like the from above angle, but i think it depends on the person and situation. I think for family shots like this, a more traditional height might have looked better.

One of the harder things to do when you have a nice lens like that 85mm is to forget that it has F1.8 as an option sometimes. For all of these photos, you probably could have shot at F4 or F5.6 pretty easily and still had nice background separation and a good shutter speed. You'd still have the shallow DOF, but you wouldn't have the issue where half of the face isn't in focus.

Yeah, I can't resist :D but I do forgot with the longer focal lengths I can stop it down and still get a nice DOF. I also wanted it wide open bc it was starting to get really dark. But I will make a mental note to stop it down next time. I like the angle on people with "rounder" faces. I think it gives a nice outline and keeps their chin from blending in with their neck. Also, I am really short, 5'2. If I'm not standing on something, its hard for me to get shots that aren't looking up your nose.

These are nice images, very flattering renders. I am not experienced enough to offer any tips. You can see they love you, which IMO is what makes these stand out.

I'd have a look at some photographers that are really good at these types of portraits. The first one that comes to mind is Jon Canlas. He generally shoot either straight on or just slightly above, not too much.

He also shoots MF and always wide open with portraits. I think if it's done right it works. This image was done with a Contax 645, with the 80f2. He doens't use that camera anymore, but uses that lens on a Pentax 645 now. He also uses the Pentax 67 with the 105. All of that would translate roughly into 55mm-60mm on full frame @ f1.2 (roughly).

I'd work on your angles, cropping, body language, and genuine emotion.
2ae575a25c085c4dae1744b791d95cf5.jpg

it's ok for ears to be oof
it's difficult to get both eyes in focus with this kind of posing

love the younger boy... don't shoot that shallow or shot, just practice a lot :)

anyway, nice

I'd have a look at some photographers that are really good at these types of portraits. The first one that comes to mind is Jon Canlas. He generally shoot either straight on or just slightly above, not too much.

He also shoots MF and always wide open with portraits. I think if it's done right it works. This image was done with a Contax 645, with the 80f2. He doens't use that camera anymore, but uses that lens on a Pentax 645 now. He also uses the Pentax 67 with the 105. All of that would translate roughly into 55mm-60mm on full frame @ f1.2 (roughly).

I'd work on your angles, cropping, body language, and genuine emotion.
2ae575a25c085c4dae1744b791d95cf5.jpg

Lots of good information here -- a couple things to point out in this photo that might help you with yours (at least IMO). Her face is square to the camera, which helps reduce the OOF portions, the angle is not quite as high, and the model is leaning her head towards the camera. This helps the chin/neck problem you were mentioning.

Another thing that you can do is to take a few steps back. I ran a quick DOF calculation for your lens and camera, and the in focus part is about 4 inches deep at 10 feet. at 15 feet, it's 8 inches. That difference is enough to get the entire face in focus, probably, and then you can just crop tighter later.

I feel like I hit some points and I'm aware of what I missed, (I think).
Hi, Beccaf91! I think these shots are very well composed and framed, and as you said, the light is very good as well. They all show a thin DOF though, which tends to be a distraction. I have a DOF calculator on my phone so I can get the specs anywhere I have my phone. My choice was free.

Another thing that you can do is to take a few steps back.

I realized that after the first shot or 2. But since I was so intent on getting that ridiculous angle, I was literally on the back of the bench and they were sitting on the opposite end furthest from me. I was trying to lean back as I shot but kept losing my balance. I'm sure it was comical to passersby. :D

I feel like I hit some points and I'm aware of what I missed, (I think).
Hi, Beccaf91! I think these shots are very well composed and framed, and as you said, the light is very good as well. They all show a thin DOF though, which tends to be a distraction. I have a DOF calculator on my phone so I can get the specs anywhere I have my phone. My choice was free.
There's an app for that!??! And OMG thank you. I might cry... I was braced for the worst. I'm not getting a big head or anything but I'm glad you think I'm improving somewhat.

These are nice images, very flattering renders. I am not experienced enough to offer any tips. You can see they love you, which IMO is what makes these stand out.
Thanks, I'm glad you can tell. They all get on my nerves. :D

Shot#2 is the best of the group. I would watch the backgrounds closely for hard-edged objects, like the pole that attaches to the head in a couple of these. The last shot has an unusual head tilt and camera angle of view.

Shot#2 is the best of the group. I would watch the backgrounds closely for hard-edged objects, like the pole that attaches to the head in a couple of these. The last shot has an unusual head tilt and camera angle of view.
I knew you would see the tree. It's been glaring at me since I posted these.

There's an app for that!??! And OMG thank you. I might cry... I was braced for the worst. I'm not getting a big head or anything but I'm glad you think I'm improving somewhat.
Yes, I can see a definite improvement!

First, go here and try it out online to see how it works and how it looks.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

It's pretty self-explanatory, just plug in your camera and your lens, and the distance and aperture. Read the DOF and estimate how deep it needs to be to keep everything in focus. A person's head is (x) inches, front to back, a group of three is (x) inches front to back, and so on.

After you get a feel for how it works, start looking around for a mobile app. Some are pay, some are free, some are goofy-looking, etc. Pick one, and practice with it.

Most reactions

Back