family portrait suggestions

cajunboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Might take family portrait tomorrow and need suggestions, like place and time. Have a plantation where i am from with 100 year oak tree. Maybe try there

Might take family portrait tomorrow and need suggestions, like place and time. Have a plantation where i am from with 100 year oak tree. Maybe try there

Morning and evening is known for soft glowing type light. Afternoon for strong flat light.

Maybe have the main light (sun) come from the left or right about 30 degree angle. If you have a flash, and can use it off camera??? Set it up 30 degrees to the opposite side. If you can't use it off camera. Maybe use it straight on. Experiment (no film to waste) with just sun from one side or the other. Flash from here or there. Even with sun behind (tree and all) and use flash to to brighten up your family (fill flash, and back up some).

Use the time to experiment some. Until your models give out on you anyway. :)

If they are going to be in the shade and no direct light is hitting them (assuming blue skies) the color temp will be more blue on them but fine for everything else and leave you with that old dissatisfied feeling.

The cure is a largish white reflector to get some of that nice warm light into the scene. This could even be a bed sheet held by two accomplices. ;)

Most reactions

Back