Family Portraiture Tips

vansnxtweek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
I got asked last minute to take some family pictures today and as I am very excited...im a bit nervous as well. As much as I have been practicing, I definately have not had much experience with family pictures. It seems to be kind of a lot to get straight in my mind! Its a family of 5...mom,dad,15 year old daughter, and then a 4 year old and a 7 year old boy. I was just hoping you all could give me some tips to head me in the right direction. They say they mostly want candid pictures...not much formal at all. Being I don't know this family very well, that should make things interesting haha. As far as camera specifics, I'll be using a 50mm 1.4. Shooting an entire family such as this I guess I should be very careful not to have my aperture too far open correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Plan the shoot ahead of time; decide on location(s) and choose areas with even, non-distracting backgrounds. If you're going to be out of doors, check the weather, and be ready to postpone at the last minute. Discuss clothing - make sure that they wear similar tones (ie not one with a black t-shirt and another with a white one) and ones which will be a good contrast for the chosen location. Study your DoF table and determine about how far back you are going to be for most shots and know what DoF you will need to keep the subjects in focus. Spend an hour or two going to Flickr groups and similar for some ideas on poses/compositions.

Good luck!

Plan the shoot ahead of time; decide on location(s) and choose areas with even, non-distracting backgrounds. If you're going to be out of doors, check the weather, and be ready to postpone at the last minute. Discuss clothing - make sure that they wear similar tones (ie not one with a black t-shirt and another with a white one) and ones which will be a good contrast for the chosen location. Study your DoF table and determine about how far back you are going to be for most shots and know what DoF you will need to keep the subjects in focus. Spend an hour or two going to Flickr groups and similar for some ideas on poses/compositions.

Good luck!

Do all of this and take notes while you are doing it. Plan your shoot, shoot your plan. You will be surprised at what you will forget once you have subjects staring at you and your camera

The only way to get good candids is to have a second shooter there with you. If not, everything will seem posed. They can also help with holding reflectors and strobes if you are going that direction.

p!nK

I've gotten a few good candids by telling them to relax and hold on for a minute while I messed with my settings...and then continuing to shoot! Sneaky! ;)

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I really appreciate ya'll's help..it is all good stuff that is very important. It is NO doubt that when you get the camera in your hands and a subject in front of you that everything almost seems to go into a blur.

But.......I did the pictures and I'm pretty happy with the results! They loved them as well which was all I was concerned with. I'm just trying to get experience and take all the opportunities I can get so this was great.

If anyone is interested I will post up a few. I got to use my buddie's 50mm f/1.4 which was a huge help. I def. learned that the lens IS a bit soft way down low haha. I really need to get more familiar with the DoF table. Either way it was a lot of fun.

Thanks again for all the help.

The only way to get good candids is to have a second shooter there with you. If not, everything will seem posed. They can also help with holding reflectors and strobes if you are going that direction.

I don't agree. You can get some great candid shots if they have something to do. If they are just sitting there, then yes, the pictures will look forced and fake. But if they are doing something, playing at the park, whatever, then you can capture great candid images.

Getting real smiles when doing posed work can be difficult, but can net some great results. Making jokes while shooting can work with many familes, specially kids.

I only have a few family sessions under my belt, but they were all done with a more candid approach with some images having light direction (walk here....go there....look at me...). You have to have things planned in your head though as the longer people wait for the shutter to click, the less natural they look

If anyone is interested I will post up a few.

Please do!

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I really appreciate ya'll's help..it is all good stuff that is very important. It is NO doubt that when you get the camera in your hands and a subject in front of you that everything almost seems to go into a blur.

But.......I did the pictures and I'm pretty happy with the results! They loved them as well which was all I was concerned with. I'm just trying to get experience and take all the opportunities I can get so this was great.

If anyone is interested I will post up a few. I got to use my buddie's 50mm f/1.4 which was a huge help. I def. learned that the lens IS a bit soft way down low haha. I really need to get more familiar with the DoF table. Either way it was a lot of fun.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ya! I'd love to see them!!!
You seemed stoked about it, so I'm really interested now :)

I agree BigTwinks...I don't think you need a second photographer...I just took advantage of the season and told the boys to throw leaves up and at each other hhahahh it was fun! Then I got mom and daugther involved as well.

NikonNewb...I get excited pretty easy so don't expect excellence hahah but I'll show what I've got!

I have tons more obviously..but this is just a small assortment.
74832_175545379124690_100000076876799_593714_4363591_n.jpg

75668_175545169124711_100000076876799_593707_6327609_n.jpg

155457_175545312458030_100000076876799_593712_1164236_n.jpg

154665_175545935791301_100000076876799_593728_4585255_n.jpg

These appear to be really natural to me, well done. They are soft to me. What settings did you use?

Thanks VTF...I was a bit aperture happy for a few reasons...
1) they said they wanted some soft style photos so that was the number one reason
2) it was my first chance using a 1.4 prime and the results were pretty amazing!..next time I think i'll keep it stopped down to at least f/3 or so

Overall I am extremely in love with the prime lens..I just have to get used to having no miniscule zoom adjustment

Most reactions

Back