Family shoot with an adorable little girl

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening everyone. A family session that I did recently. Any c&c is appreciated. When it comes to number 4...I don't know why but I like it that way...but I am open to bashing.
1 $Crosby (20 of 39).jpg
2$Crosby (12 of 39).jpg
3$Crosby (21 of 39).jpg
4$Crosby (30 of 39).jpg

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
C&C per req:

1. Cute; more fill needed to balance against ambient and avoid the blown area at the top. Faces are somewhat under-exposed.

2. I don't really 'get' this one; it's a cute shot of the child, albeit it a little 'flashed' looking. Perhaps more diffusion on the fill?

3. A nice mother and daughter moement, watch the cropping of the hands, and add a little fill. Also watch background elements such ast he board behind her head.

4. I like this too, well done.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

OP
Juga

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
C&C per req:

1. Cute; more fill needed to balance against ambient and avoid the blown area at the top. Faces are somewhat under-exposed.

2. I don't really 'get' this one; it's a cute shot of the child, albeit it a little 'flashed' looking. Perhaps more diffusion on the fill?

3. A nice mother and daughter moement, watch the cropping of the hands, and add a little fill. Also watch background elements such ast he board behind her head.

4. I like this too, well done.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Great feedback John. I really appreciate it.

The second one was a 'fun' experimental shot. The idea was to show how the child is happy but parents get exhausted chasing them...I don't think I executed that well and I did over do the fill.

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
LOL, I immediately understood the second one. Very funny, but I don't think it's quite "there." Play around with that idea, I think you could capture some really great moments that parents would love.

A little more fill wouldn't hurt.

OP
Juga

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
LOL, I immediately understood the second one. Very funny, but I don't think it's quite "there." Play around with that idea, I think you could capture some really great moments that parents would love.

I very much intend to play with the idea. I think I need to get the parents just a tad closer to the child. Thanks for the input!

sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Photos OK to edit
I also "understood" the second shot, but I also thought it kinda looked MORE like Mom had just 86'ed Dad while dear little daughter was off smiling for the camera, and I wondered what was gonna happen when daughter turns around and sees the crime scene. :lol:

Other than that, I pretty much agree with everything John said.

sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Photos OK to edit

I very much intend to play with the idea. I think I need to get the parents just a tad closer to the child. Thanks for the input!

Maybe have some sweat dripping down off the mom or something...and/or have the dad in a position where it looks like he was running after her but finally collapsed, maybe one arm still outstretched like he was just about to grab her.

OP
Juga

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the feedback! I intend on playing with the idea. I think if I get the parents closer in the frame but more distance horizontally would be better.

adayofblissnyc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Very cute baby... and nice pictures of the beach..

OP
Juga

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Maybe have some sweat dripping down off the mom or something...and/or have the dad in a position where it looks like he was running after her but finally collapsed, maybe one arm still outstretched like he was just about to grab her.

I think that would give more of effect. Awesome suggestion, thanks.

Designer

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Most people will not "get" #2. Cute concept, failed execution. If the clients have to explain it to everyone, they will soon grow tired of showing it.

As to that; #4 is the same way. We just don't get it.

Photographiend

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
These are adorable. Would axe the vignette on that last one though.

frommrstomommy

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I understood 2 but agree it could be tweaked to be more easily read by anyone else. I'very got a very active one year old so perhaps that's why I get it. Lol overall cute shots IMO.. beautiful family. If I remember right you've got limited software for post work and I really think a few minutes in light room could do lots for these. Lr5 beta is available .. free to try til its official release.

OP
Juga

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I understood 2 but agree it could be tweaked to be more easily read by anyone else. I'very got a very active one year old so perhaps that's why I get it. Lol overall cute shots IMO.. beautiful family. If I remember right you've got limited software for post work and I really think a few minutes in light room could do lots for these. Lr5 beta is available .. free to try til its official release.

I have LR4 and I did tweak the lighting on their face. I brought it down to what I felt was a more natural look because I think I had my speedlite at +1/3 on exposure compensation and was too bright but +-0 was not enough and figured I could mess with it post. Thanks for the input. I am going to try different stuff with the idea of #2.

Most reactions

ClickASnap