Famous Photographers

The reason is that they end up just copying one another. I learned more about composition, use of angles, influence of light, etc., from watching old B&W movies than from any "great" still photographer.

Well then.. now you are just copying the cinematographers. Its no different.... your logic doesn't follow no matter how much you wrapped it around a fake shroud of intelligence.

The whole point is to learn for whatever or whoever and add your own "twist"... make it yours.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to." - Jim Jarmusch

oh btw.. I think c.cloudwalker's point was that cinema and photography borrowed and copied each other... photography existed prior to movie.

Oh I don't think you've quite grasped my point though. Most so-called "great photography" leaves me very cold, even though many of the techniques overlap those of the motion picture.

I fid it puzzling how people go on and on about HCB or AA but never mention Hitchcock or other great directors.

The reason is that they end up just copying one another. I learned more about composition, use of angles, influence of light, etc., from watching old B&W movies than from any "great" still photographer.

Well then.. now you are just copying the cinematographers. Its no different.... your logic doesn't follow no matter how much you wrapped it around a fake shroud of intelligence.

The whole point is to learn for whatever or whoever and add your own "twist"... make it yours.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to." - Jim Jarmusch

oh btw.. I think c.cloudwalker's point was that cinema and photography borrowed and copied each other... photography existed prior to movie.

Oh I don't think you've quite grasped my point though. Most so-called "great photography" leaves me very cold, even though many of the techniques overlap those of the motion picture.

I fid it puzzling how people go on and on about HCB or AA but never mention Hitchcock or other great directors.

Yes I do get your point. I totally disagree with your posts... its simply awful advice and self centered. You can pull inspiration and motivation from anywhere from anyone including other photographers such as HCB (i like) and AA. People should be allowed to study and mimic others' work they admire... be it painting, movies, even photos. The criticism you so happily to dish out is completely off base considering you yourself are doing the same thing... but with movies.

The thread is titled "famous photographers" on a photography forum populated by photographers to share thoughts about.. yup.. you guessed it... photography. I don't think posters ignore great directors but simply are intelligent enough recognize the topic of the thread.

The whole thread went down hill when you joined it...

I don't look at them, I don't care about them, I don't think much of them.

The irony is that the quote came from an independent film maker...

On topic:

Andre Kertesz sadly doesn't get much mention here...
Henri Cartier Bresson

Current White House Photographer, Pete Souza, has had a few photos that caught my attention.

Yes I do get your point. I totally disagree with your posts... its simply awful advice and self centered. You can pull inspiration and motivation from anywhere from anyone including other photographers such as HCB (i like) and AA. People should be allowed to study and mimic others' work they admire... be it painting, movies, even photos. The criticism you so happily to dish out is completely off base considering you yourself are doing the same thing... but with movies.

The thread is titled "famous photographers" on a photography forum populated by photographers to share thoughts about.. yup.. you guessed it... photography. I don't think posters ignore great directors but simply are intelligent enough recognize the topic of the thread.

The whole thread went down hill when you joined it...

I don't look at them, I don't care about them, I don't think much of them.

The irony is that the quote came from an independent film maker...

I made it up, if someone else said it fine.

I was trying to say how I learned about lighting and composition (watching old movies, rather than looking at famous still photographers' work). I never said I copied anything. I was encouraging others to look at some classic films to have the same opportunity. How could you possibly object?

Why all this blathering on about Hitchcock??? He was a director. He never won an Academy Award for his directing. P-P, why are you giving Hitchcock so much credit?? He didn't do most of the work...his DP's did, and so did the actual cameramen who worked for the various DP's.

The career of "Hitchcock" as a photographer or cinematographer never really existed...what you are crediting to Alfred Hitchcock was REALLY the work of his various Directors of Photography...Jack Cox, George Barnes, Harry Stradling, Joseph Valentine, Glen MacWillliams, Lee Garmes, and Ted Tatzlaff. And of course, for the end of his career, Hitchcock's work was made incredibly good-looking by the masterful DP work of Robert Burks. Burks was the DP for around a dozen of Hitchcock's films, and over his career, Burks made 55 feature films. He won an Academy Award for To Catch a Thief.

Hitchock NEVER won an Academy Award for his directing...interesting,no?

Why all this blathering on about Hitchcock??? He was a director. He never won an Academy Award for his directing. P-P, why are you giving Hitchcock so much credit?? He didn't do most of the work...his DP's did, and so did the actual cameramen who worked for the various DP's.

The career of "Hitchcock" as a photographer or cinematographer never really existed...what you are crediting to Alfred Hitchcock was REALLY the work of his various Directors of Photography...Jack Cox, George Barnes, Harry Stradling, Joseph Valentine, Glen MacWillliams, Lee Garmes, and Ted Tatzlaff. And of course, for the end of his career, Hitchcock's work was made incredibly good-looking by the masterful DP work of Robert Burks. Burks was the DP for around a dozen of Hitchcock's films, and over his career, Burks made 55 feature films. He won an Academy Award for To Catch a Thief.

Hitchock NEVER won an Academy Award for his directing...interesting,no?

Quite. You may perhaps fail to realize Hitchcock meticulously planned every shot. His DPs followed his instructions.

I made it up, if someone else said it fine.

I was trying to say how I learned about lighting and composition (watching old movies, rather than looking at famous still photographers' work). I never said I copied anything. I was encouraging others to look at some classic films to have the same opportunity. How could you possibly object?

Stop redirecting... Being negative is not encouraging.

If you made it up.. then go away.

Hey I was sitting at work today and was listening to my co-workers going on and on about their favorite football player/basketball player/baseball player and I was just thinking since I'm such a dork and don't really watch much of eaither to have favorite players I started thinking about my love for photography and was wondering what is some of your guys favorite photographers

Salgado.

Forum member RowmyF is a distant relative of WeeGee.

No way! Really? I'm jealous. I don't normally suffer from celebrity worship, but it's friggin' Weegee! I'm not obsessing over someone who everyone thinks is talented, but really isn't (Johnny Depp?), I'm obsessing over someone who had a darkroom in the trunk of his damn car!

Name ANYTHING cooler than that?

Also, as a postscript, I realize I do obsess over celebrities. Just not the same ones as everyone else. Most people don't consider Buster Keaton to be their favorite actor of all time.

Hey I was sitting at work today and was listening to my co-workers going on and on about their favorite football player/basketball player/baseball player and I was just thinking since I'm such a dork and don't really watch much of eaither to have favorite players I started thinking about my love for photography and was wondering what is some of your guys favorite photographers

Salgado.

:thumbup: You have actually come up with a good photographer we studied him at college

Salgado.

:thumbup: You have actually come up with a good photographer we studied him at college

I don't think he studied any photographers at college, for what that's worth.

Neither did I. So what? If I ever think that makes me great, anybody can shoot me. Except you, of course.

No way! Really? I'm jealous. I don't normally suffer from celebrity worship, but it's friggin' Weegee! I'm not obsessing over someone who everyone thinks is talented, but really isn't (Johnny Depp?), I'm obsessing over someone who had a darkroom in the trunk of his damn car!

How about all the PJs, including me, who travelled the world with a darkroom in a suitcase?

Neither did I. So what? If I ever think that makes me great, anybody can shoot me. Except you, of course.

How about all the PJs, including me, who travelled the world with a darkroom in a suitcase?

Pfft how about a camera the size of a truck!
The Cameratruck Project

I've also seen someone doing the same with a trailer as well

Most reactions

Back