Fashion Show tomorrow - what lens to use?

I shot a very badly lit fashion show...I used my 50 1.8 and set the camera to like ISO 400 or so...with a usable shutter speed of about 60 or 125...
The results were ok. I was close to the runway though...so that helps.

If the lighting is poor, I would suggest cranking up the ISO a few notches. Noisy fashion shots are far more usable than blurry.

What is the common opinion about flashes in these kind of events btw? I hope I will get the chance to shoot a fashion show soon.

That's one of the reasons I'm picking up a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

The Tamron does have a few idiosyncracies... like the front element coming loose, requiring you to tighten them down yourself using some loctite and a good amount of hunting in low light (more than the Sigma).

I suggest that you look at the Sigma 18-50 HSM macro. its even sharper than the Tamron and Nikkor and in the same price (if not lower by now) than the Tamron.

In the 3 shootouts that I have read about the Sigma, Tamron and Nikkor, the Sigma won three times out of three.

I purchased the Sigma and am extremely happy... and the Macro function comes free, its something that none of the competition has. Build quality is excellent, it has some substance, focuses quick and has minimal CA and vignetting (again less than the Tamron or Nikkor).

What is the common opinion about flashes in these kind of events btw? I hope I will get the chance to shoot a fashion show soon.

No set rule. Some places permit flash while others do not. In this case, the OP mentioned that flashes were permitted, but that he did not want to use the flash.

Personally, I have NO aversions to using the flash, as long as it is off camera... the resuts are so much better!

Most reactions

Back