Fast shutter speed

radioman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So whenever i try to take a photo with a fast shutter speed (Tv mode) it always is really dark. How do I go about fixing this? Herre is a photo I took of my dog in the sports setting to test how good the setting actually is and it has some blur which I am not sure if it was caused by camera shake or the dog moving. The photo also looks grainy.

IMG_1636.jpg

High shutter speed makes images darker because the camera doesn't have as much time to take in light (or so I think that's how it works-correct me if I'm wrong). To make up for this you can shoot in full manual mode and lower the F stop, or crank up the ISO.

Rich-D got it right
Also make sure that your camera is focusing on the write thing, in this given example the camera have focused on the background not the dog.

High shutter speed makes images darker because the camera doesn't have as much time to take in light ...

Not right, or at least mostly not right, in this case as the OP stated that the same was in the TV (AKA: shutter priority) mode. This is an auto exposure mode and the camera will automatically adjust the aperture to compensate for the shutter speed, at least to a point.

What is probably happening is that the OP is not paying attention to the camera's meter display to see that the poor camera is screaming HELP! There are limits to how wide an aperture the meter can set. If the shutter speed is raised too high, the meter opens the aperture to the maximum available and, if that's not enought, the picture will be underexposed. Even with DSLRs with and enabled Auto-ISO there are limits; the camera's meter will only raise the ISO so far to compensate and after that it begins to underexpose.

Very often, the best way to get the highest possible shutter speed in a given situation is to use an aperture priority mode (AKA: Av) and set the lens to its maximum aperture. The camera will then set the fastest shutter speed that gives proper exposure at the chosen ISO and f/stop. The user still needs to monitor the meter display to watch for cases where the shutter speed can't be set high enough to yield proper exposure (shutters have a maximum speed). Failure to correct to this by closing the aperture a bit will lead to overexposure.

To the OP: Read your camera manual to see what the meter display does to indicate that the needed f/stop (or shutter speed when using Av) can't be set. It is often done by blinking the f/stop (or shutter speed) displayed, but the indication does vary.

This shot is not dark due to using the sports mode. It is more of an auto mode than Tv is. If you are really dark in Tv mode, double check the exposure compensation. You may have accidentally set it too far to underexpose (check the manual for exposure compensation.)

Without seeing any of the actual "dark" images, that would be my guess. I wouldn't think there is any exposure compensation in the different auto modes compared with Av and Tv.

use full manual. shutter speed 250 or faster. pick the iso and aperture yourself. It can only help you improve as you learn from mistakes

I agree with Dwig...and mrodgers

If you are in Tv mode and your shots are dark then either it is operator error or the camera is broke..

In Tv, you set your own shutter speed.........so, set one and make sure that there is enough light by checking your f-stop/low light warning/exposure compensation.... if any of those are off, then your exposure will be off.

So whenever i try to take a photo with a fast shutter speed (Tv mode) it always is really dark. How do I go about fixing this? Herre is a photo I took of my dog in the sports setting to test how good the setting actually is and it has some blur which I am not sure if it was caused by camera shake or the dog moving. The photo also looks grainy.

The photo isn't grainy. Thats just the way photos are.

As for your blur, it's best to shoot in Aperture priority mode, and (depending on how "good" your camera is at this) over/under exposing by a 1/3 to a full stop. On my D300, when I don't have time to adjust every single shot, I simply shoot at Aperture Priority, maybe toss the ISO up 1/3 and under expose the shot (in bright daylight) by 7/10th of a stop. This will usually get me spot on, instead of trusting the camera completely to get the exposure correct.

use full manual. shutter speed 250 or faster. pick the iso and aperture yourself. It can only help you improve as you learn from mistakes

i think the OP could benefit from a book covering the very bascis of photography (understanding exposure comes to mind...great book)...otherwise it;s going to be a lot of trial and error with no real understanding as to why the settings that work do work, and why the wrong settings dont work.

i think the OP could benefit from a book covering the very bascis of photography (understanding exposure comes to mind...great book)...otherwise it;s going to be a lot of trial and error with no real understanding as to why the settings that work do work, and why the wrong settings dont work.

granted - and agreed.

and while understanding exposure has a lot to offer, i think it should always be supplemented with simple practicing on different settings - the same way bryan peterson himself became such an expert on exposure. use the book as a guide and keep practicing on your dog.

i also agree with you dwyer, but i just think that sometimes it does help to get the foundation and theory down and then go mess around with settings rather than just playing until you get the result you want, but not knowing why....
but again, i do agree with tyhe fact that trial and error can work...

radioman...combine my "get a book" advice with dwyer;s "mess with settings" advice, and you got a great DIY intro to photo course :D

Most reactions

Back