Father in law

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
He wanted a professional photo. I just noticed there is a strain of hair on his chest. Need to photo shop it out lol. I thought it was on my screen.

10246479_10203435762159466_5293779795472284576_n.jpg

Very nice Robin, can you share your lighting set-up?

I'd really consider a more classical, proven way to pose a man of his age and physical characteristics. Specifically, sitting him down and having him lean forward, so his head and neck and chest are over and at least a little bit literally "in front of the belt buckle", and then lifting his chin up, both posing strategies which would totally change his weight distribution and his body's actual posture.

He looks kind of 'robust' the way he is shown...he could use some more "dynamism" gained by changing the way he is physically presented to the camera.

Robin,

This is the first time I've felt compelled to comment on your work--everything I've seen thus far has been great!

I believe, as artists in our field, It's our mission NOT to photograph people or things AS THEY ARE, but AS THEY COULD BE....

In that spirit I offer an alternative lighting and poseing method for your father in law's body type.

Because I would not want to show every pound on this guy I would "shorten-up" the lighting by turning off the Kicker light on the right and then the only fill I would use would be a soft white reflector--backed way off (I usually do some inages w/o any fill at all on someone like this).

You've got the hair light nailed and the background light has a nice subtle smear I like...

Now. as to the pose this is where we can really change someone's appearance! We would give this guy something to place his elbow on so we could
lean him forward--we want to get his face in front of his belly to reduce it's size.

Then I would raise my camera position ( on my little step ladder ) and have him raise his chin up to me--which gets rid of all that stuff under his chin.

Because my wife and I have been photographing real people (that is not skinny models) for over 25-years we've had to learn EVERY trick in the book to make our clients look their best--and we're still learning new things with each challenging subject that walks into our studio!

Look forward to seeing more of your work! Jerry V.

I'd really consider a more classical, proven way to pose a man of his age and physical characteristics. Specifically, sitting him down and having him lean forward, so his head and neck and chest are over and at least a little bit literally "in front of the belt buckle", and then lifting his chin up, both posing strategies which would totally change his weight distribution and his body's actual posture.

He looks kind of 'robust' the way he is shown...he could use some more "dynamism" gained by changing the way he is physically presented to the camera.

I kinda tried that but his jacket looked bulging.

Very nice Robin, can you share your lighting set-up?

Bounced brolly left, snooted hair light rear right, background light right behind the subject.

Derrel and Jerry, can you show me a photo that kinda describe what you were saying? (your work or someone else's?)

Derrel and Jerry, can you show me a photo that kinda describe what you were saying? (your work or someone else's?)

This client came in wearing this light blue shirt that did not hide his girth--you were on the right track having your father-in-law wear the dark jacket and using the dark background!

So we had him lean forward--elbow on knee which dropped that shoulder--and turned his body toward the main light so his shadow side was nearest the camera (basic Short Light pattern).

The key to the LEAN is to raise his knee by placing that foot on something (we use a 5" wood box) to make this comfortable for him and look natural.

Then to elevate the camera (so we eliminate his secondary chin) I stood on my small step-ladder and had him bring his nose up to me.

$Kissell48sml.jpg

Hey Jerry, I do like your example. However I feel that that type of pose sitting down feels a little bit too informal for me. I went with the type of portraits you see at court houses of the president, judges, etc. Very formal. I can't see my self shooting the person sitting down or shooting from higher angle.

Hey Jerry, I do like your example. However I feel that that type of pose sitting down feels a little bit too informal for me. I went with the type of portraits you see at court houses of the president, judges, etc. Very formal. I can't see my self shooting the person sitting down or shooting from higher angle.

Hey Robin,

The BEST formal Presidential portraits are those where the President is SEATED. They include: Lincoln, Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Eisenhower, F.D.R., Cleveland, Andrew Johnson, Pierce, Buchanan, Adams, etc.

In most of the standing formal Presidential portraits they are REAL stiff looking!

So, come-on, loosen-up and give your clients a break--make-em look Presidential!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back