Faulty light meter

bmorrisdavies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm completely new to film, although i've been doing serious slr photography in digital for about a year and a half. I very recently bought a second hand pentax k1000 on ebay, and I'm unsure wheather the light meter on it is ok. When i shine a light into it, it goes right up, and if its dark and i go outside it goes right down. But it seems much, much less sensitive than the light meter on my digital slr (canon eos 1000D), for example, i have the camera set to f2.8, iso 200 and shutter speed 250, and the needle is in the center, but when i increas shutter speed to 1000, the needle on the light meter doesn't move at all! And if I'm outdoors and I move indoors where its much darker, the light meter barely moves at all/ doesn't move. With my dslr the light meter is much more sensitive than this. Is this difference between a pentax film camera and a canon digital camera normal?

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmorrisdavies

Last edited:
First off......... have you changed the battery that operates the lightmeter to a fresh one?

When i got my k1000, it hadn't been used in 20 some years, and a fresh battery made it work like it was brand new

I haven't yet, no. I'll get one tonight an let you know how it works. That's the little button battery on the bottom of the camera right?

You can check a light meter by observing its reading of a gray card in full sunlight. Compare the reading to the manufacturer's recommendation for exposure in full sunlight. A reading which falls within +/- 1/2 stop is essentially 'on the money'.

Replaced the battery and it works fine :D Thanks for the tip! Anyone know how often I should replace the battery?

It should last a year or more if you keep the lens capped when not in use.

The k1000 more than likely has a CDS light meter, which will respond much slower than a SPD meter when going from a light area to dark. They are both equally accurate, so you just have to get used to it and remember.

Most reactions

Back