Favorite Lens for Wedding Photography

Epiphany

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just asked by my cousin to photograph her wedding in 1 1/2 weeks from now. I am a beginner and want to try and keep it simple. I don't want to stress myself out any more worrying about fumbling with my camera to get the image I want.

I have a Nikon D7000. I was going to use my 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens and was going to invest in a used 85mm 1.4g lens. Are these good choices to use?

I am shooting in auto. The wedding ceremony is in a barn at 3 pm. There is no other lighting than what will come through the open barn doors. I do have a professional digital flash.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated! Please keep it simple.

Thanks!

Sounds like this will be a pretty challenging situation from a shooting perspective, but my recommendation would be to grab your flash and spend the next week or so getting in as much practice with it as you can, sounds like you'll probably need it unless there is a lot more light than what I'm imagining would be available.

If possible see if you can get access to the barn itself and practice there, it will give you a much better feel for what to expect on the big day.

I wouldn't bother buying an 85mm; that's a great lens, and very useful, but only in certain situations. My suggestion would be to RENT a fast lens such as the 17-55 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8. These will be MUCH more useful, and depending on where you will be able/have to stand, you might also consider renting the 70-200 f2.8, and as the big ape above mentioned, spend every second you can practicing.

Franky my favorite lens is what ever the hired wedding photographer is using to get their shots. Wedding photography is quite complex, hard on the photographer and the equipment. The choice is generally full frame bodies and fast glass along with an assortment of lighting options including studio strobes on tall stands with horizontal strip boxes.

You have none of that so like the others said, practice, practice, practice, eat a sandwich and practice. That is the only hope you have for getting some decent shots. P.S. If you are using the flash then shoot in manual mode on the camera, TTL mode on the flash and let the flash do the work. Oh yeah, did I mention Practice?

The difference between your photos and those of an experienced, well equipped, wedding photographer will be significant, to say the least.
Your job, with the equipment you have available to you, is to study your camera manual and the manual for your flash. Learn all you can about it and make sure all your batteries are charged and you have spare batteries.
Very important! - as you shoot LOOK AT THE SHOTS. If you didn't get what you wanted - shoot again.
Also try to get everybody that attended in photos. Have fun with it, you're making memories for the family.

I shoot events and wedding with 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8
I add 50mm 1.8 for extreme low light situations.
Don't bother to get an 85mm lens, from my experience its useless for weddings.

If you want to go as cheap as you can but still have good results you can consider a 17-50mm 2.8 lens and add 70-300mm VR for close-ups from a far.

35mm f/1.8G

I wouldn't bother buying an 85mm; that's a great lens, and very useful, but only in certain situations. My suggestion would be to RENT a fast lens such as the 17-55 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8. These will be MUCH more useful, and depending on where you will be able/have to stand, you might also consider renting the 70-200 f2.8, and as the big ape above mentioned, spend every second you can practicing.

I second this one. Rent and practice, practice and practice. Good luck.

I second this one. Rent and practice, practice and practice. Good luck.

No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Thank you for all the input! I greatly appreciate it!

I have two go to lenses for weddings. My fave is the 35mm 1.8 followed by the 200mm 2.8. Someone said something about fast glass. YAAASS. Weddings are dark and most times you are not allowed to shoot flash so you need super speedy glass. Good luck!

Oh the 85 1.4 is another of my faves. I don't use it a lot, but it's a great addition to the bag. I got some amazing photos from that one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back