Features to choose a camera

zoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I've just decided to buy a DSLR camera. However i'm not sure which one is best choice.
First of all i've heard that recording video for a long time with dslr cameras harmful to sensor , because of that i'm looking for one without recording feature.

I compared 500D and 450D and there is some differences such as ISO values.
500D between 100-3200 but 450D between 100-1600
Now i wonder that is this a crucial difference ?
Also what are other features i have to consider while making comparison ?

DPreview has a side by side comparison feature and reviews you might find helpful. Buying Guide: Side-by-side: Digital Photography Review (check the menu for reviews and in depth info on most camera models).

I wouldn't worry if it has video or not if your not going to use it, don't use it. If the camera has everything else you want I wouldn't personally rule it out if it has video.

A camera with higher ISO values means it can take clearer pictures in lower light with less digital noise. There's more to it than that though, see this article on ISO, and if you want a quick intro to exposure see the articles preceding it.

To start the conversation and if you have more questions, what type of shooting do you enjoy, or what do you think you will want to get into?

I waited for a very long time to get a DSLR, but once I did my interest and love for photography increased exponentially. You might be surprised what you want to try. Anyway, a good place to start is what situations in your life you envision wanting to use your camera for, and if you think you will have budget now and in the future to feed the hobby.

I've compared the 500D and 50D and looks like these two are almost same except shutter speed. (1/4000 for 500D and 1/8000 for 50D) As far as i know such high value 1/8000 is not necessary, correct me if i'm wrong.

I mean there is no big difference but there is about $300 price diffence , so what does make the 50D expensive ?

The 50D has a 6.3fps frame shooting rate. the 500D has 3.4fps.
The 50D has more accurate focus points (different type)
The 50D can do 1/8000 (many do not need it, but for those that do...)
The 50D has a sturdier chassis, and the shutter life is rated at 100k, not sure the published shutter life of the 500D

There may be other differences.

It is not so much a matter of what features a camera has, but rather what features you are most likely to make use of. Having a high ISO number such as 3200 or higher, by the way, does not necessarily mean that a camera can produce a good quality image at that setting. As far as video is considered, I don't think very many people would shoot sufficient hours of video at once, to have any potential harm to the chip. Many amateurs use it for short segments such as baby's first steps etc.

skieur

skieur makes some really good points. This is why I asked what you intend to do with the camera, what will you be taking pictures of? I think for many, the 500D is an awesome camera and will satisfy most of your needs if you are just starting out with DSLR.

I'm using the second iteration of the 500D (the 550D) and I love it. I had a 450D before this (the XSi) and also thought it was a great camera. Truth is, there's not really much difference betwixt the 450D and 500D outside of video capture and a slightly bigger end picture (although the processor is identical so the picture will look virtually the same).

I'd say either save and get the 450D (if you're between those 2) or go with a bigger version (either the 50D or the new 550D).

How about a Pentax K-x or K2000

K-x:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-Black/dp/B002OEBTC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267888599&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Black): Electronics[/ame]

K2000:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K2000-18-55mm-AF200FG-Flash/dp/B001GAPHOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267888800&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Pentax K2000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DA L Lens and AF200FG Flash: Electronics[/ame]

I have an old K100D and will probably have it for many years. The body integral anti shake is something Canon & Nikon have not considered, because they'd rather sell it to you again with every lens purchase.

The kit lens is much higher quality than Canon's or Nikon's. The optical performance is great.

myfotoguy was wrong about one thing. The higher ISO range means it can use a higher shutter speed or smaller aperture in lower light, but it is with MORE noise, not less. (assuming the same sensor size)

myfotoguy was wrong about one thing. The higher ISO range means it can use a higher shutter speed or smaller aperture in lower light, but it is with MORE noise, not less. (assuming the same sensor size)

Jeremy- Thanks for the clarification. I see how what I said was confusing. What I meant to say that when cameras have higher ISO ratings, they generally achieve better results when using higher ISO settings. Generally being the key word.

So a camera rated 100-3200 vs. a camera rated 100-1600, the former camera generally would get better high ISO results with less noise. Although, it really does depend on the two cameras.

I absolutely agree that higher ISO introduces more noise, and that it is an important part of the exposure triangle to allow other settings, etc.. I guess I too quickly tried to say that some cameras are better at High ISO than others. I hope I didn't create too much confusion, because as I said, it does depend a great deal on the cameras in question.

Again, thanks for clarifying my confusion!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back