ferruginous Hawk and American Kestrel w/ Lunch

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ground control to Ferruginous Hawk, Commencing countdown, Engines on...

hawktakeoff_zpsecdc49ae.jpg~original

American Kestrel enjoying his lunch

kestrel1_zpsdcbb63b1.jpg~original

kestrel2_zps32669ea9.jpg~original

Very well done! Great detail!

Beautiful! Especially the 1st.

Awesome job! Getting that close to a Kestrel is pretty sweet! Wish we had Ferruginous Hawks out here..

Great shots! Any idea what the Kestrel was eating?

Looks a lot like rabbit hair to me.

Sent from my phone with my giant, uncoordinated sausage thumbs.

Thanks everyone! it was kind of an odd day, went out looking for eagles but got these guys instead

Great shots! Any idea what the Kestrel was eating?

Thanks, I'm not sure, like lowsky said, it does look very similar to rabbit hair, but kestrels are fairly small and whatever he had was also fairly small too. I'm thinking maybe some kind of Vole? hard to tell though.

Awesome job! Getting that close to a Kestrel is pretty sweet! Wish we had Ferruginous Hawks out here..

yeah I was glad to see him hanging out on the power line. he really couldn't have cared less that I was there. he ate, cleaned his talons, wiped his beak on the powerlines for a while before taking off, all while I'm just there shooting away. heh

Ferruginous hawks are fun to watch, they're very large, they're also hard to identify sometimes because they have a large range of colorings, this one is a light morph, but there are also dark morphs, and others...normally we just get them in summer, but there are a few that hang out year round, especially where this one was at which is an active part of what I call 'Raptor Route'

Most reactions

New Topics

Back