I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't often pick up the camera, but I had the pleasure of helping shoot a wedding. (I only second shoot occasionally)
these are just a few. the girl would not smile for anyone to save her life. cute kid though.

the elbow in #1 was just my bad, there was junk on that side and no way to get the elbow in without the other stuff....it was an aesthetic decision at the last minute during the only time I saw the girl kinda smile, so I took the shot. the main photographer didn't get any with her actually smiling, so i dont feel as bad.

the slight tilt on #2 was another aesthetic decision. I thought it came out nice. so did the bride. I believe the main photographer got one or two as well that were not tilted.

almost went with a tighter crop on #3, but they wanted some shots where people could tell it was a beach wedding.

I did only minor editing on these.
also, im not trying to justify any mistakes or issues here, I just want you to know why I shot them the way I did.

1: $DSC_0077-1.jpg
2:$DSC_0270-1.jpg
3:$DSC_9799-1.jpg

thanks The_Traveler, I do like your edit a little better! it makes it look uniform and deliberate. I had not actually thought of cropping the arms even. very nice.

tirediron said:
Good job on the exposure in #3; white and white with dark skin isn't easy.

#3 was shot on our old D100. The other two were with a D90.

Since you complained on the "I've got $8k" thread I figured I'd hunt these down and comment. I like #3 a lot but I have a question about the grooms tux. Was that thing made of cellophane or is that some weird sort of noise on the sleeve and leg? I'm assuming it was he material shimmering, it just looks odd.

Since you complained on the "I've got $8k" thread I figured I'd hunt these down and comment. I like #3 a lot but I have a question about the grooms tux. Was that thing made of cellophane or is that some weird sort of noise on the sleeve and leg? I'm assuming it was he material shimmering, it just looks odd.

heh, thanks..the suit was VERY shiny. its like he went to the tux place and asked them to give him the most reflective material they could get from NASA. im pretty certain the suit was made from the reflective heat tiles from the old space shuttle.

I like #2. This is a usable shot. There other two would no be useable IMO. The one of the little girl needs no explaining but the one of the b/g should have been wider to provide more of the atomsphere. . Not a very flattering pose either she has a funny look on her face and he has the dead arm. PREVENT DEAD ARM AT ALL COSTS! Seriously always do this. it always looks horrible and everyone does it unless you tell them not too. Tell the ladies to teacup and the guys to utilize pockets.

I like #2. This is a usable shot. There other two would no be useable IMO. The one of the little girl needs no explaining but the one of the b/g should have been wider to provide more of the atomsphere. . Not a very flattering pose either she has a funny look on her face and he has the dead arm. PREVENT DEAD ARM AT ALL COSTS! Seriously always do this. it always looks horrible and everyone does it unless you tell them not too. Tell the ladies to teacup and the guys to utilize pockets.

neither of the shots were posed. they were candids taken after the ceremony, before the reception. they just happened to be walking along the beach when I shot it. I guess I could have told them to move their arms though. Its also why they are talking to each other and not looking at the camera.
details like that are why I make my living as a Paramedic and not as a photographer. =) I will remember the arm posing thing for next time. that's why I love second shooting...i get a much needed learning curve.

neither of the shots were posed. they were candids taken after the ceremony, before the reception. they just happened to be walking along the beach when I shot it. I guess I could have told them to move their arms though. Its also why they are talking to each other and not looking at the camera.
details like that are why I make my living as a Paramedic and not as a photographer. =) I will remember the arm posing thing for next time. that's why I love second shooting...i get a much needed learning curve.

its good to 2nd shoot a couple times. A few things I have learned from shooting wedding that you have to discuss with the bride and groom ahead of time:

1. Hold the kiss!
2. No dead arm
3. Smile at me like im your best friend

Most reactions

New Topics

Back