Few thoughts about Nikon's next FX cameras

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I gotta tell you guys if a unicorn would be standing behind me looking at me typing I would be less shocked then the arrival of the D500, I mean I was 100% sure Nikon gave up on the concept of the DX sports camera.
And here it is so I am a bit worried, back in the day there was the D3, D700 and D300
What we are missing now is a true D700 replacement, will it show up ?

Everything I see tells me NO, but so I felt about a D300 replecement.

My D750 is not a direct replacement to the D700.

Its all very confusing, the D610 is long in the tooth, I will not be surprised to see it being replaced sometime this year, the D750 is sitting nicely between the D610 and D810 so if the D610 will get the 51 AF points it will be extremly close to the D750, too close to justfy getting a D750.
So will it keep the 39 AF points you have in the D5500 ?

Or maybe Nikon will decide to slowly phase out either the D610 or D750 ?
Get a D700 replacement and D610 replacement and you dont need the D750.
Maybe get a D700 replacement and phase out the D610 and leave the D750 as the lower FX body ?

So many thoughts, so many options my head is spinning :)

with nikons flagship FX (D5) and upcoming flagship DX (D500) both having a 153 point AF system, I wonder how much lower they will go for their entry level/prosumer lines.

as for a direct D700 replacement?
eh...
they kinda have all the bases covered at this point...
plenty of entry level DX with the 3xxx and 5xxx
mid level DX with 7xxx
new sports body DX with the D500
entry level FX with 6xx
mid level FX with 750 and 8xx
and of course the flagship pro D5 for FX

Definetely a d775 :) ;)

I fail to see your point.

The D750 is a great camera (as was the D700). Yes it has a different interface, but not a worse one. Yes it has less build quality, but it has sufficient build quality and a lower price.

And about interface, I just cant believe Nikons placement of the mode button right now. Frankly is something where Canon blows Nikon out of the water quite brutally right now. They have their quick access C1..C3 modes and you can configure them throughoutly. Nikon ? Have to search for a button on the slowest to access part of the camera to even change P-S-A-M ! On their FLAGSHIP CAMERA ! What the heck.

I fail to see your point.

The D750 is a great camera (as was the D700). Yes it has a different interface, but not a worse one. Yes it has less build quality, but it has sufficient build quality and a lower price.

And about interface, I just cant believe Nikons placement of the mode button right now. Frankly is something where Canon blows Nikon out of the water quite brutally right now. They have their quick access C1..C3 modes and you can configure them throughoutly. Nikon ? Have to search for a button on the slowest to access part of the camera to even change P-S-A-M ! On their FLAGSHIP CAMERA ! What the heck.
You must be looking at some inaccurate pictures.
There are some photoshopped pictures on the internet of the D5 with totally inaccurate button placements. Such as this one ==> http://nikontransfer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Nikon-D5-REAR.jpg

This is an accurate photo ==> http://nofilmschool.com/sites/defau...kon_d5_35_1.4_back34r.high_.jpg?itok=nA66NvGS

The button placements for Mode on the flagship D5 and other models is great.
top front and spin a dial. You never have to take your eye off of the viewfinder.

Thats' what I love about the pro bodies interface, you never have to move your hands much and you can control most of the heavily used features without ever taking your eye off the viewfinder.

OP,what does theD700 do that the 750 or 810 don't?
Never researched the D700, never really like d it too much.

My main interest when I consider upgrade is 2 thing
1.High ISO performance
2.AF and Metering system

At its time I believe the D700 had top notch 1 and 2

If theoretically Nikon will soon come out with a D700 replacement that will have noticably better low light performance the my D750 and I know the AF will be better with 159 AF point I will probably have to VERY seriously consider upgrading if it will be in the 3000$ area.

Gotcha, makes sense. It will be interesting to see what nikons next step will be with their full frame market.

Gotcha, makes sense. It will be interesting to see what nikons next step will be with their full frame market.
The way I see it if a D700 replacement will not materialised then current Nikons FX lineup is very strong, D810 and D750 are very strong players, the D610 is still very good but it is a bit old, a replacement will really make it even better lineup but if they make it too good it will challenge the D750.

I have a feeling though that Canon's replacement of the 6D and 5D III is very close and I am sure these will be very good and challenge Nikons FX cameras.

Holy ****!
The D610 is old????

I'm also curious to see what can the D700 do that the D750 can't. As far as I know, high ISO, AF, and metering are all superior on the D750 compare to the D700. The only thing that the D750 doesn't have is 100% full metal housing.

Canons new flagship is already out, 5ds ??? That's what has me thinking Nikon has to be close to announcing something soon.

OP,what does theD700 do that the 750 or 810 don't?
AFAICS mosty the D700 has the built quality and interface of the D8x0 line, while the D750 has the build quality (I think its slightly better, but its not as good as D700 and D8x0) and mostly the same interface (which some very helpful changes in the details) than the D6x0 line.

Basically the people who complain they want a D700 successor want a D800s or how you would want to call it; a 16 to 24 Megapixel version of the D800.

Actually, technically, the d8x0 has the interface of the d700. I think the d700 preceeds it by a few years (2008).

Also the D750 is new in the frame design as it uses more modern carbon fiber reinforced plastic. I'm not sure how that differs from carbon thermoplastic but that allowed for a strong, lightweight camera body. Carbon Fiber and Carbon thermoplastic isn't new, it's been used in a variety of other industries for years now for ti's strength and light weight. Which counters some of ppl complaining about camera weight and a smaller size, like many mirrorless owners ==> Camera construction

also, wasn't the d750 the replacement for the d700 just by nomenclature alone ?
But I agree. The d750 was more designed for more people as the interface allows more automation that the d3x00, d5x00, d7x00 and d6x0 have. This open it up to more users that don't fully comprehend the more manual controls. So, Nikon can sell more to a wider range of people.

Last edited:
Just curious, I'm not stirring, but apart from dropping 1fps, was the d800 not an upgrade in almost every way to the d700, with the same form factor? didnt the d810 even recoup that 1fps

Most reactions

Back