What's new

Fiat 500 photo edit critique

sanmusa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was more an exercise for me than actually doing a final edit of a photo. I have been interested in doing more car photography wanting also to improve my skills with Photoshop. I used a tutorial on Car Photo Tutorials to get some ideas and guidance, used a photo I took of a Fiat 500, and a stock image of a wall.

Here is the original, I think the background detracts from the overall image, and I was looking for a more industrial background:
Fiat%20500%20Original.JPG


Here is the edited version. I did some minimal color work on the car, but changed levels and contrast. I used several Soft Light layers to bring out the details on the car as well as darkening the windows. The hardest part for me was actually making the wall show through the car window and still be seen through the dark glass. I also attempted to add some vignetting to the background to bring out the car even more but for some reason I don't like the final product. I know there is some ghosting around the vehicle itself. I tried fixing it but I kept on making it worse so I backtracked, cleaned it up and left it as is. Another issue I have is the fact that the light on the background wall is diffused while the sun is beating on the Fiat on the original shot. What would be the best technique to add a realistic shadow on the building? I understand that it would have been better to take the picture of the car under overcast sies, but bright sunlight is all I had when I rented that car.
Fiat%20500%20Edit.jpg


If you go to the Car Photography Tutorial site and see the final produced shot of the BMW you can see what I was trying to achieve here, with also a change of background.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom